The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lest We Forget...

Lest We Forget...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I refer to the article in The Age newspaper's,
'Good Weekend,' magazine, Sat. February 7, 2009,
called "Lest We Forget."

As it says on the cover,

"One year on from the apology a remarkable
pictorial history of the First Australians."
The book is called, "Portraits From a Land
Without People: A Pictorial Anthology of
Indigenous Australia 1847 - 2008."

Looking at the pictures made me wonder why
do we still take pride in who we pertain to be?

Thoughts?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 February 2009 3:06:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We take pride because we are not all bad.
Because we are not unlike any humans who took others lands.
because we have come to understand things not we, but some of our ancestors did was wrong.
Because at last we said sorry, even thou so many got the words stuck in their throats.
We have much to be proud of, much to be sad for but yes we can be proud of the present, not always ashamed of the past.
And hopeful for the future.
I have listened to then then leader of the oppositions speech so many times.
I am so very proud he spoke for far less Australians than Rudd.
I have never forgotten never will, my hand is always there to help.
Not all the sins of today are white mens, not all the answers will come from us, self help must be part of the answer.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 8 February 2009 2:31:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
I am a little perplexed, if I remember rightly (& here I leave myself open to the charge of misrepresenting you–déjà vu!).I seem to remember you saying that you did not favour an apology.

Yet, now in this post, if I read you correctly, you seem to be lauding the apology.What gives?

Did some party official tap you on the shoulder and say:'listen mate you need to toe the party line' ?
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 8 February 2009 7:27:15 AM
I personally believe that the people who are the most opinionated have the loudest voices. The people who we all should be celebrating are the people who live and let live. Who volunteer for the pure joy of it. Who work hard to find themselves in positions that help others in need. Who do what they do just to try and make a difference. They don't judge your origins. They don't discriminate, aren't ignorant of others plight, or see them as anything other than fellow human beings.

Those are the people that should be encouraged and celebrated in this society, but instead, the people that mean harm intentionally or otherwise through ignorance are the ones find themselves in the spotlight and the media find more interesting.

The more the people that do good are celebrated publicly the more inspiring you'll find your society and the people in it. There's a percentage that REFUSE to treat others as anything other than equals. It happens A LOT on OLO here as we all know. Those, unfortunately, are the ones with the loudest voice.

IMHO anyway.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 8 February 2009 7:28:30 AM
John Ogden's book, "Portraits From a Land Without People,"
is a remarkable pictorial history of Aboriginal Australia.
As the article in 'The Good Weekend,' points out "the hundreds
of photos confirm the absurdity of the notion of terra nullius.
There are pictures, dating from early colonial times, of
desert people with spears and woomeras under a burning sun,
forest people in possum-and wallaby-skin coats, coastal
people with their sophisticated fish traps. It was a
continent alive with human activity.

The images are beautiful and shocking. Dignified and tragic.
There's a photo of an old Aboriginal man in a tin humpy,
the stump of an arm lying on a leg as thin as a chicken
bone, the unseeing eyes, the hand that rests on the paws of
his pup...He is Ngukata Tjupurrula, a fully initiated Pintupi
man. Tjupurrula, now dead, lost the arm in the late 1940s after
he escaped from police custody while still wearing handcuffs, a
ratchet type that tightened and cut deeper into his wrists the
more he tried to remove them. Gangrene set in, later tracoma
sent him blind."

In order to understand where we are today, we have to understand
our history, the full history. Unless we acknowledge the past,
we cannot claim the future as our own.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 8 February 2009 8:54:36 AM
StG

Beautiful. Thank You. Spoken with the 'real spirit of Australia

Lest We Forget...

LETS WE FORGET has always been attributed in the minds of Aussies to Anzac Day. I know that is why 'I entered this link.

To pay my respect for the fallen soldiers ( all of them)=

Be they our white Australian`s fathers , grandfathers, grandmothers or the many aboriginal fathers and grandfathers who fought in the same wars and also the horses dogs and animals that lost their lives.

800 horsemen/the lighthorsemen, an he discovered that 400 of those ANZACs were aboriginal.

Why not celebrate Anzac Day together and remember the incredible sacrifices that both black and white Australians made in defence of our country
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Sunday, 8 February 2009 9:03:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy