The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > D'oh, what a nut!

D'oh, what a nut!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Examinator

I get your drift with the hand-made chockies and marble desk however, see if you can beat the following:

A publicly listed company, in which I was employed, were contracted to a large corporation to remove gracious old historical homesites to be re-situated in another area to do with tourism.

The manager of the corporation, stole a lovely old home, placed it on jinkers and utilised the subbies to transport it hundreds of miles to his farm at the company's expense.

And to add to the liquor D's story. I had also dobbed these D's into the Minister's aide who asked if I would put my concerns in writing to which I gleefully agreed since these Ds "had prevented me from working efficiently for months."

I must confess though to a slight misdemeanour. During those years in the hospitality game I was a stickler for etiquette. Serve only to the right, linen napkin around the wine bottle, twist the bottle to avoid spilling a drop and allowing a host to sniff and savour the wine for approval prior to filling the glasses of other guests.

The Penfolds St Henri to which I referred was corked - the whole 12 bottles had leaked and smelled atrocious. Nevertheless, the chef and I enoyed a bottle after closing time without any ill effects so I was adding it to the punch I used to prepare for large balls or conventions.

The volume of snobbery amongst would-be wine buffs during those years was staggering and the Minister's aide, whilst extremely charming, remarked condescendingly that he couldn't believe a regional town (I think he meant the "Bronx") would be able to offer a fine wine like St Henri.

So with great flair and much aplomb, I invited him to test the wine. When he sniffed and tasted the foul smelling dregs he exclaimed with obvious delight: "What a magnificent drop!"
Posted by dickie, Thursday, 5 February 2009 2:21:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy