The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Holocaust denier brought back into fold - Why?

Holocaust denier brought back into fold - Why?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Bishop Richard Williamson and three other bishops were excommunicated 20 years ago after they were consecrated by an ultra conservative archbishop without papal consent, a move the Vatican at the time called a schism.

Pope Benedict has lifted the excommunication because he said the bishops had "repeatedly shown their deep suffering over the situation."

However, this has caused a strong reaction from the Jewish Religious Leaders in Israel. One of the bishops, Bishop Richard Williamson, denies the numbers of the Holocaust.

Why would the Pope bring a Holocaust denier back into the fold, and risk alienating so many people not only in Israel, but around the world?

Your thoughts please?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 January 2009 5:43:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For a start, it's a good question and many thanks for making a string on it.

I don't have an answer... it's beyond me. Shocking stuff.
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 29 January 2009 7:54:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Meredith,

I don't understand it either. I was totally shocked
when I watched the news this evening.
And I was raised as a Catholic. This makes me feel
ashamed.

As a religious leader the Pope is supposed to be
concerned with building bridges between people.
He's supposed to be - for compassion, and justice.
He's supposed to set an example for his flock.

I don't believe that he can justify his actions.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 January 2009 8:54:55 PM
Foxy,

I think we need to pressure as loudly as we can for them to reform. Christianity form our basic social structure this and a few other problems (killing abortionist Drs and the priests raping kids)

As far as we could get on here, that I can imagine, is to get the big OLO Christens representatives to condemn it, which I am sure they will?

But maybe people should write to the pope.
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 29 January 2009 9:23:24 PM
Dear Meredith,

I've already written a letter to the Pope
(I was that upset). Here's the address in case
you want it:

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
Vatican City State, 00120
Italy

and his email is:

benedictxvi@vatican.va

I haven't sent him an email yet so I don't know if it
works - but I'll do it tomorrow - when my brain is
working better. I'm just to tired (from the heat) tonight.

All The Best,
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 January 2009 9:39:49 PM
I'm the same, I can't spell, but I will most definatly write and email..

thanks very much, Foxy..
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 29 January 2009 9:42:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy