The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > yes.. its true.. CHEAP meat straight from the FARM.....?

yes.. its true.. CHEAP meat straight from the FARM.....?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Last night on that bastion of truth and public information.. "A Current Affair" there was a story about CHEAP MEAT.. direct to you from the farm gate.

Apparently farmers are fed up with the LOWWWW prices they receive for their cattle... and the HIGGGGH prices we all have to pay from Supermarkets for the end product.

The story included interviews with people from this web site/organization
http://www.gippslandleanbeef.com.au/

Their mantra went as follows:

1/ MIDDLE men are ripping us off... marking up by THREE HUNDRED percent from the gate price of the farmer.

2/ WEEEEE (Imagine Brief chorus of Handels Messiah in background) want to put a stop to this and provide quality meat at a MUCH lower price.

3/ Now..we can deliver meat... for TWENTY FIVE percent LESS than the supermarkets charge! myyyy goodness.. are we not magnificent or what?

Now.. surely all of us can see what's going on here.

a) If the MARK UP is 300%
b) We will sell it for 25% less than supermarkets
c) This MEANS the farmers are only 25% less greedy than the supermarkets and its a 275% markup from the farmer to you!

BUT LOOK at some of the amazingly LOW prices! This is not to be missed. (on the SPECIALS section of the web site.)

10kg of sausages for the low low LOWWWWW PRICE of.. just a teensy weensy $145!
hmmmm now..if my maths is right..this makes them $14.50/kg

When was the last time YOU PAID more than $5.00/kg for snags at Safeways?

But what about the 20kg beef pack?

Average price of $15.00/kg

Safeways offers:

Quality/yummy rump steak at $13.00/kg frequently.
Lamb forequarter chops at $6.00/kg.. (very nice)

I'll concede that the Eye Fillet/T-Bone/Scotch Fillet/Porterhouse components of this pack are better than the $28/kg Safeways charge. But looking at the total pack price/kg it seems we are not being offered much at all, as the other components are sky HIGH in price.

Greedy Farmers?
Posted by Polycarp, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 11:12:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The main reason why meat is not available directly from the farm is due to health standards.

Imagine if a beast had cancer, TB, or was classed as 'unfit for human consumption', yet was sold to you directly from the farm.

This is exactly why they must be processed in a slaughter house, they follow very strict rules and many cattle, sheep and pigs don't make it to the plate and become 'pet food' due to being deemed 'unfit' for human comsumption.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 10 December 2008 6:35:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Its True-

Is It David?

Take another look at that web site you put up.

Do I see MLA etc there.

MLA whom strongly support Live Exports and Feed Lots.

See anything down the side. See any pictures of intensive farming
I will give you a hint=

"FEED LOTS"=

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s105057.htm

http://www.alv.org.au/issues/cattle.php

Low levels of antibiotics may be mixed into the cattle's feed over a long period to help prevent the bloat and acidosis caused by an unnatural diet.

This leads to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, some of which already cause disease in humans.

For example, in the US and Europe humans have caught the antibiotic-resistant, disease-producing Salmonella typhimurium DT104 from cattle. For more information on this point, go to Antibiotics in agriculture .

A feedlot has traditionally been a series of bare paddocks, all filled with cattle. According to the Code of Practice, each animal may be given as little space as 9m2. Even though many feedlots are in hot parts of the country, not all provide shade and shelter.

In 1991 2500 cattle died of heat stroke on the huge Whyalla feedlot near the Queensland-NSW border.

This feedlot now provides shade for its 30,000 cattle. However, the Code of Practice still allows feedlots to be unshaded.

It makes the weak statement: " The provision of shade or alternative means of cooling, such as misters or sprays, may be required and should be considered where the temperature exceeds 30ºC for an annual period of 750 hours " (emphasis added)

So David why dont you and your Church DO SOMETHING to support 100% Free Range and 100% cruelty free like the good lord expects us to.

This is what all Churches and real Christians SHOULD be supporting instead.=
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=105632&catId=100288&tid=100008&p=6&title=Free-range+meat

Why dont you goody two shoes Church Leaders at least try to help us do the lords work.

Who knows he might even reward you by dropping the prices!
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 10 December 2008 6:44:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz, you really should get out more.

Your TV habits are starting to control your life. One day it's the Happy Days Reunion, now we have A Current Affair.

The reason it is a problem is - apart from the fact that you seem to believe that everything you see on TV is true - that you seem unable to differentiate between the various aspects of the story before you.

The web site advertises organic farming. It has higher prices than factory farming, for a reason.

This is a separate issue from the "cheap meats" people.

Mind you, thanks for reminding me...

>>WEEEEE (Imagine Brief chorus of Handels Messiah in background) want to put a stop to this<<

One of my favourite parts of the Messiah is the Chorus "We, like sheep".

When it is sung, you can't hear the comma.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 10 December 2008 7:56:25 AM
Farmers have been getting a raw deal from wholesalers and supermarkets for a while, many packing up the farm after many hours of hard labour result in a negative or poor return.

I don't blame the farmers at all for wanting to sell from the farm gate particularly if they are value-adding in terms of organic or biodynamic produce which is more achievable on a small-scale.

Yes a 275% mark up is a bit high if you get rid of the middleman but Poly where did these figures come from? Current Affair is not always accurate with their facts.

But in essence I agree, if you want to combat greed one way NOT to do it is by replacing it with more greed.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 10 December 2008 8:02:39 AM
Poly, your maths are off.

25% off a 300% markup is not 275%.

If what they mean is that the supermarket sells the product for 4 times the farmers price (ie the markup only is 300%), then they are selling for a 200% markup, or 3 times what the farmers usually get. If they mean that the supermarket sell for 3 times the farmers price, as many people (especially journos) get percentages wrong, then they will be selling for 2.25 times what the supermarkets sell for.

And then are you comparing just meat prices, or grass-fed prices only, as this is what this meat appears to be. These days decent grass-fed beef appears to be a bit more expensive, go to any online butchers shop and have a look.

To me, it looks like these guys are selling in the point of free-range without being too expensive. Good luck to them, but I don;t think they're that much cheaper. But since there are lots of overheads and transport costs to consider, 'greedy' is not a word I would use to describe them.
Posted by Bugsy, Wednesday, 10 December 2008 8:25:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy