The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 6th of May 2008 the State Government announced its budget package for 2008

6th of May 2008 the State Government announced its budget package for 2008

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
On the 6th of May 2008 the State Government announced its budget package for 2008, of its $82.3 million support package for Victorians. Ms. Neville said the package would help veterans as well as Victorians who grew up institutional care; the budget would invest $7.1 million to establish support services for Victorians who grew up in state care and experienced harm and abuse from their carers.
This was an important step towards acknowledging the failures and assisting those affected in dealing with their childhood legacies. Adding to that the Brumby Labour Government will prepare a ‘formal response to the Forgotten Australians’ report
Since 1944 up until the 1980’s, approximately 90,398 Victorian children had been placed into institutions for various reasons. (Source: Markiewicz A, 'The child welfare system in Victoria', Children Australia, vol.21, No.3, 1996, p.33.)
A vast Majority of these children were abused sexually emotionally and mentally. How the Brumby Government came up with $7.1million to establish support for the many Forgotten Australians, however many will agree that amount of money will not go anywhere near what is needed for these people.

Maybe our Day is coming

I am and always will be a FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIAN until the day I die.

And to all you Forgotten Australians out there I say,

STAND UP, STAND UP, WE ARE THE FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS
Posted by bazzah, Monday, 20 October 2008 3:08:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy