The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Politicians and the Forgotten Australians

Politicians and the Forgotten Australians

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Sometimes I wonder whether or not our politicians including our new Governor general have read the report on the inquiry into Forgotten Australians.
Maybe Quinten Bryce has read of our plight and is too busy to do anything; with dignitaries coming from various parts of the world she just wouldn't have that much time on her hands.
The fascination is the number of politicians who were there at Parliament house when a number of us bared our souls to the then Government of the day. Apparently there wasn't a dry eye in the house the number of senators that had wept after hearing of the grief and pain we went through.
After hearing our submissions and also reading them as well, 39 recommendations were handed down. In the state of Victoria one of those recommendations has been met that being a formal apology from the then Premier Mr. Bracks.
However, before this apology was handed down the sorry's act had been amended before the State Government would formally apologise. One could guess the reason for the amendment to the act, although politicians I'm sure would say they did this with good intentions in mind.
We are coming out of our closets, the shame these perpetrators put us through has taken us a long time to put our hand up. But we are coming forward. On the Government books there were 500,000 of us although one could argue it was a hell of a lot more.

STAND UP, STAND UP, WE ARE THE FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS

I'll be a FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIAN till the day I die.

CARELEAVERS WE ARE NOT, as nobody gave a toss about us or CARED for us PERIOD.

In the words of Nelson Mandella "Any country that doesn't care for its children does not deserve to be called a country"
Posted by bazzah, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 2:29:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Bazzah,

My heart goes out to you and your family,
and to all the
Forgotten Australians, and their families.

I've emailed the Prime Minister regarding
this subject in the past.
Sadly, with no positive results.

And, as you say, nothing appears to
be currently happening, either.

What is needed perhaps, is media attention.
And a lot of it.

A light need to be shone on politician's
inaction.

Television programs like, Today Tonight,
Insight, Compass, even Andrew Denton's,
Enough Rope - are all looking for stories
to tell. And yours would be one that
be attract attention. Or at least cause a
push for some political action.

Good Luck.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 3:14:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazzah “Politicians and the Forgotten Australians”

A word to the wise,

Don’t wait for anything to come your way from any politician, ever.

If you want the best life possible, there are three things I can suggest

rely on yourself (personal empowerment)

behave ethically in your dealings with others (personal growth) and

love your children unconditionally (personal heritage).

Everything else, especially anything concerning government, will see you waiting around for someone else (giving power to them).

Your life is too short to wait. Get on and live it (exercise your power for yourself and your family).
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 3:28:50 PM
Ive written to the PMs office many times and received no reply even on an empty Defence gun cupboard...almost totally devoid of guns for the citzens in time of an incursion by Indonesia/China.

I think bureacracy is too big for the small man and woman to get much of a listen.

God bless you Bazzah.

Many christians feel for the Forgotten Australians and do actually go out to help.
Posted by Gibo, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 4:26:40 PM
Dear Bazzah....

we ALL feel like 'Forgotten Australians' at times.

Some of us are made to feel that way by others who simply delight in making us or our children feel that way.

Is there a difference between having an identity crisis due to a mixed heritage as an Aboriginal and one with a different bi-racial background?

I don't think so. If I told where being rejected by White Australians and Accepted by Asian Australians led to for my own son, your ears would tingle.

On a broad level Cols advice is very sound. My only addition would be make your peace with the Almighty, and love and cherish whatever family you have. God does not seek your vote.. just your heart.

Don't expect anything from politicians except empty promises designed to produce votes.
Don't feel you are the only forgotten Australians.. and please please don't dwell on it as if you are. You will become morbid, depressed and .... u can fill in the gaps.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 7:32:44 AM
Bazzah,
I first became aware of the 'Forgotten Australians' here on OLO by the efforts of huffnpuff. I think there were quite a few posters here, including myself, that sent letters/emails to various politicians supporting recognition of the injustices suffered.

For my part, I received very little response except for acknowledgement of letters received, which is dissappointing but to be expected as politicians have many issues with which to deal and to take up their time.

The situation is likely to stay that way unless you can get media support for your cause, which will bring it to the forefront. I know you should not have to, but that is the reality of todays political world.

But do not give up, keep trying, one day you may just strike a cord or maybe there will be opportunity to get it before the media.

I have been trying to get the issue of young girls still being subjected to FGM here in Aus and no action taken, with very little response from politicians or media. I will keep at though when I can, but remember not to let it consume all my life.

I think Cols advice is good. Try to get some other positive things going as well.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 8:19:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy