The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Media madness

Media madness

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
As fourth pillar of democracy, news papers and journals should play a responsible role. But most of them do not follow any ethics in the profession. For the sake of survival news is distorted and twisted and as a result Truth is the casualty. People are forced to align on one side or the other and not on the Truth side. This is a dangerous trend.

Cinema is known to spoil society by its unnatural portrayals. Children and the youth are the worst affected. By showing love making (vulgar scenes) as love scenes, it sexually stimulates the youth. Divinity of love cannot be communicated to the youth through the commercial cinema. Love cannot be captured in a camera as it is a mental feeling. Camera is used to glorify physical beauty at the cost of mental health in cinema.

It is well known that children become violent and insensitive to human suffering because of the influence of cinema and TV shows. The cheap comedy is seen to ridicule healthy human relationships. Cinema heroes and heroines are the bad role models to be emulated but in the present circumstances there is no escape from this trend. Cinema song writers and music directors belittle the greatness of literature and music by abetting the materialistic culture of cinema.

It is sad to note that cinema gets very high patronage from governments. Regulation of cinema does not appear to exist. The spurious greatness of cinema should be debunked by exposing that it thrives on black money at the cost of common man’s welfare.

Let us not place cinema on a high pedestal but put it in a place it deserves,that is in the sidelines. The awards given to cinema people should be banned. Numbers of cinema films should be drastically reduced.

Cinema has become something that is indispensable. This is an ominous trend
Posted by Ezhil, Wednesday, 8 October 2008 1:28:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ezhill. I see where you are coming from and it does put more unnecessary pressure for parents when it comes to appropriate viewing.
Unfortunately ethics and truth don't sell ( unless its Hollywood junk )and in my opinion the whole thing is getting out of hand. The world of morals and ethics are going right out the window and as many parents would agree, the monitoring aspects falls short with just a rating added to the motion.

As for news on T.V and alike, you can view multiple versions of the same event and of course the dollar is right in the middle of it all with the casualties demonstrated by a confused youth.

The genie is out of bottle.

Competition between journalists for that top story is the primary problem.

EVO
Posted by EVO, Wednesday, 8 October 2008 8:22:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that unfortunately Pandora's box is open. I do not go to the cinema unless the show is full of wit and the characters remain for the most part clad. I do not like certain world views shoved down my neck.

I think today's parents must do their best to be firm about what their children are hearing and seeing, for instance, keep the computers and TV in the family room or close by. Interior Designers might take this into consideration.
Posted by d'Helm, Thursday, 9 October 2008 11:46:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Honesty in reporting be it in newspapers, or
other media, often depends
on the qualifications, experience, and ethics,
of the journalists involved in the reporting,
as well as the editorial policy of the companies
which employ them.

However, I don't agree with some
of the criticism made about cinema.

Yes, for children, parents should select age appropriate
genre. And, there are cinema classifications that
help.

However, there are many of us who just enjoy the
entertainment and magic of a movie masterpiece,
in the quiet and dark of our local cinema. And, there
are so many selections from the genres of Action/Adventure,
Epic, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Musical, Mystery, Thriller,
Romance, Science Fiction & Fantasy, War and Western, to
choose from.

We've all looked with wonder at films which complemented
or contrasted with one another within their genre, films
which reflected the era in which they were made. We've
all been astonished by some of the special effects,
brave cinematographical experiments, courageous social
commentary, staggering performances, debuts and swan-songs.

We've all been stimulated, informed and amused by many films,
and all before the lights go back on and the credits roll.

It's for those reasons that I can't slam cinema.

I realize that movie selection is subjective, however,
there is a wide enough choice to enable us to find something
worth watching.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 9 October 2008 2:59:05 PM
Media (in this case films) are driven by money (profits) and one of the key target audiences are our children - who are funded by us (Mum, I waaaaant to see that film, and have a ...., and a .....) - good profit for the film companies.

Naturally, the media in question is tailored to attract the intended audience - wether it be good or bad on format (the media that is).

Bottom line is money talks, common sense walks.
Posted by 27bstroke6, Friday, 10 October 2008 5:44:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy