The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ABC bias

ABC bias

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dear runner,

We see what we want to see and hear
what we want to hear.
I guess that's a human trait.

Wouldn't it be great if we practiced
what the Almighty taught us - tolerance,
compassion, understanding, kindness,
love ... I don't think He meant it only
for people who shared the same point of
view - conservative or liberal.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 8 October 2008 4:46:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

Tolerance is a good mantra however in practice everyone has boundaries on what they will tolerate. The ABC will not tolerate a Christian world view. They will only tolerate their own world view (dogmatic secularist) You and the vast majority of people are unlikely to tolerate Paedophiles in your home. Jesus Himself would not tolerate the money changes turning His Father's house into a den of thieves. Those intent on abortion laws are very intolerant of those with different views. Treating all people with dignity? Yes! Tolerating the intolerable? No.
It leads to predators scouting schools for kids to photograph them nude. It leads to priests molesting children, it leads to nations being overtaken by those more intolerable.

In a well evolved world tolerance of every behaviour might make us all fell like hugs. In a fallen sinful world their is plenty of intolerable things to resist.

As for practicing compassion and kindness I could not agree more. By God's grace I will grow in that area. Mercy does and will triumph over judgement. Don't mistake calling sin sin for lacking compassion. People on the left and right of politics have compassionate people and uncompassionate people.

Unfortunately on the SBS/ABC I rarely see what I want to see and hear what I want to hear. A little (or lot) more balanced reporting would be a breath of fresh air.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 8 October 2008 7:03:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

Beautifully presented reasoning,
with which I can't argue.

I guess perhaps I tend to live in a
bit of a Fantasyland.
Where, I really can't see the bias,
I simply accept what's given, and mostly,
find it interesting.

Perhaps I don't analyize things enough.
I accept them at face value.

I guess that's a flaw on my part.

Thanks for sharing your views with me.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 9 October 2008 10:05:30 AM
Foxy

Thank you for your humility. At the end of the day we all probably want the same thing (harmony, peace, love, acceptance). As you can tell I passionatly believe that these desires can only be realized in Christ. Man's (including my own)selfish desires prevent me from seeing it accomplished any other way.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 9 October 2008 10:46:25 AM
If not from the ABC - the most constantly and criticially scrutinised media organisation in the country - then where does everybody else get their "balanced and unbiassed" view of the world?

I'd really like to know.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 9 October 2008 11:37:47 AM
Hi All.
There has been several system stresses over time .The imperative for the public broadcastors, the ABC and the SBS, to supplement their government appropriations and sponcership or advertsing has been about most of the time.
The press has grown and higly profitable. The nineteenth century of the fourth estate is difficult to maintain in the relation to such a vast and poweful industry as it asserts tremendous political and ecomonic influence.

TBC
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 9 October 2008 1:43:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy