The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Aged Caring in Place. Do we care enough?

Aged Caring in Place. Do we care enough?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Cakers,
Thanks for the thread.

My mum stayed in the family home for as long as possible, until dementia forced us to move her to a nursing home. Her worsening condition, she used to wander off, meant she was then moved to a secure unit attached to a hospital in our large country town.

Each had their own bedroom and the large common room had the dining tables, many lounges and TV. There was a small yard where parients could go and sit.

I visited mainly in the afternoon and most of the staff were siting, talking in their enclave which had a counter and opening to the common room. I suppose most of their work was in the mornings and evenings and my visits coincided with the quieter time.

Really the only thing for patients had to look forward to was the meals, which were OK.

I found myself putting off my visits because I found the place most depressing. It just seemed like each patient was simply waiting to die. When leaving I had to ask staff to let me out. I might add that sometimes mum would know me and sometimes not. Dad had died many years earlier and sometimes mum would talk as though he was still alive and ask why he did not visit. As I said quite depressing.

I don't know what the best is for aged care, but I hope not to end up in a similar place.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 1 September 2008 11:25:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Tammy Jo,

Thanks so much for the website and the other
referrals for complaints.

I'll now know what to do in the future.

Thanks also for showing us that there are RN's
out there that really do care for their patients.
And love their jobs.

The Aged Care industry doesn't have a good
reputation on the whole. It's time that there
was a major shake-up. Our population is aging,
and if you can't have quality care when you're the
most vulnerable (and paying a high price for it),
then something is very wrong with our society.

It's time the Government stepped in.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 1 September 2008 1:17:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I very much appreciate the responses to this thread I started. What a hugely important issue. We have an ageing population.

There is a LOT of frustration and helplessness from both floor workers in Aged Care and with the residents and their relatives. In cases it most certainly is the case of the squeakiest wheel getting fixed. And the terrible result is often that such people are labelled as complainers; the 'complaints' are usually not big things but can merely to do with an issue such as toiletting on time so incontinence doesn't result!

44 Accreditation Standards have to evidenced by every aged care facility, with renewal every three years, helps. However, I feel it would be a lot more accurate with little warning beforehand. It is amazing how well a place scrubs up on the surface for Accreditation only to relapse back to old ways.

Foxy: unfortunately I have seen the scenarios your step father has time and time again. The more dependent a person is too, the more they have to wait.

I recently visited someone literally dieing in the hospital (a private one), and I was the one doing the nursing for those few hours. The poor woman had only hours left and was dry as a bone. I fed her all the water she desired! We ought to care more for our elderly.

I keep the Aged Care Advocacy form on hand in case I am approached as an RN.
I agree with TammyJo who mentions basically having quality in management. Indeed, it is often the management that lets these places down. IF ONLY the care staff were more looked after, not only would they avoid burnout but would feel listened, take less 'sickies' and stay in the job longer. I clap loudly for our dedicated care workers , too.
Posted by Cakers, Monday, 1 September 2008 5:12:24 PM
Cakers, your point: "Indeed, it is often the management that lets these places down. IF ONLY the care staff were more looked after, not only would they avoid burnout but would feel listened, take less 'sickies' and stay in the job longer."

I have worked in the aged care industry (private). Your point is absolutely spot on. Plus the management is paid way more than the care workers, even a receptionist receives higher pay. The only member of the caring staff who does receive something approaching reasonable renumeration is the D.O.N.

Part of the problem is the idea that profit can be made from caring for the elderly and infirm - a complete conflict of interest. I would never go back to work in such a place until staff are paid in line with their responsibilities and treated with the respect that any workers in the medical industry deserve.
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 1:34:48 PM
Why shouild we depend so heavily on public funding to care for the sick and aged?
Why cant Australians each "adopt" an old person or one debilated or handicapped and look in on them and also give of themselves as much as possible and let them feel wanted and cared for?
My wife and I have been retired some fifteen years and we are involved in so many things that 24 hrs arent enough for us to get where we would like to and do what we want but we both manage to squeeze in time enough to drop in on "home-in" and barracaded old ladies and gents and have tea with them. We visit some in hospital.There's still plenty of time for ourselves to do what we want.We dont get a zac for what we do and we dont want a zac either.The happiness in the eyes of those we meet and chat to pays us all we need.it is so rewarding.
Isnt it a very Aussie thing to do,to be there for the underdog and help a mate in need?
Come on Aussies,come on, come on.
socratease
Posted by socratease, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 6:01:30 PM
Socratease....
We need more Aussies just like you. The volunteers out there are often the unsung heroes. You do this with a great heart.

I work as a dedicated RN in Aged Care and for me, it is the most rewarding of any nursing positions. I will continue, too, to put smiles on faces long after my employed days are over.

I relate to your 'happiness in the eyes' statement, Socratease. How true that is about that being the only reward that matters.

Many of us however do have that 'adopted' older person in the form of a relative or parent. My father lives in Taz; I am in Qld. I will have him live with me before I would have him go to a resthome; that is how important it is to me that my father has 1:1 care. He isn't getting any stronger nowadays either. You see, with time constraints on staff in the residential facilities, it is a dad fact that resident needs cannot always be met in a timely manner. Staffing ratios are sad.

Let us keep singing the praise of older folks like yourselves who continue to visit our older citizens, while continuing to praise the caregivers working on the coal face in Aged Care. They deserve many accolaides.

Aussies, come on....be a mate to someone in need TODAY.
Posted by Cakers, Wednesday, 3 September 2008 12:21:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy