The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why fur is never cool

Why fur is never cool

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. All
While the world has been glued to the Beijing Olympics, the following is an extract of a report in Worldnet Daily on August 19:-

"According to Mark Rissi, a spokesman for Swiss Animal Protection, which has documented abuse of animals raised for their fur as early as 1983, the China project has been going on for several years.

"The report contained the testimony from witnesses to a dog slaughter:

"Once pulled out from its cage, the raccoon dog curls up into a ball in mid-air. One woman in a headscarf is first to grab hold of the raccoon dog's tail ... The woman in the headscarf swings the animal upwards. It forms an arc in the air and is then slammed heavily to the ground, throwing up a cloud of dust. The raccoon dog tries to stand up, its paws scrabbling in the grit. The wooden club in the woman's hand swings down onto its forehead. The woman picks up the animal and walks toward the other side of the road, throwing it onto a pile of other raccoon dogs. A stream of blood trickles from its muzzle, but its eyes are open and it continues to repeatedly blink, move its paws, raise its head and collapse to the ground. Beside it lies another raccoon dog. Its four limbs have been hacked off but still it continues to yelp.

"The report then graphically describes how the dogs are skinned, sometimes while they are living".

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?pageId=72879

Tens of thousands of rabbits, cats, and dogs meet this fate in China. Please consider anything you buy that contains fur or fur trim, including "souvenirs". There are no truth in labelling" laws in China, so even if it says "faux", beware of what you choose to buy.

Australia has a ban on the importation of dog and cat fur, but lack of truthful labelling means that the only way of enforcing this is by DNA testing of countless Chinese products.
Posted by Nicky, Friday, 22 August 2008 7:59:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nicky,

You've just confirmed what I've suspected
for a while. There's a Chemist near us that
sells "stuffed animal toys." Life-like
kittens, puppies, et cetera. All of them
covered with a soft fur material. I asked
the staff what the fur was, and they told
me the toys were from China and it was "faux."
"But it feels like the real thing," I said.

Now I know better.
It was the real thing.

Why isn't there a ban on these products?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 22 August 2008 8:56:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Foxy

Because there are no "truth in labelling" laws in China, and the Chinese are aware that this material is "out there", they will label stuff like that as "faux". Dog and cat fur is sometimes given exotic names like Arctic Wolf in the case of fur coats, when it may be dog, cat, fox, mink, raccoon, etc etc. They also eat the dog and cat meat, of course. I know someone who witnessed rabbits being skinned alive in China.

To ascertain what the souvenirs that you see almost everywhere actually are, they would have to be DNA tested - and there are millions of them.

I don't believe that one animal is more special than another. The Swiss Animal Protection group which carried out this investigation has on its website the names of designers who use fur (95% of which comes from China). There are, believe it or not, three fur farms in Ireland too - and the animals there are gassed or anally electrocuted. Any animal used in the fur trade is raised in unspeakable conditions. I think PETA's "Fur is Dead" website may have information on the designers who use fur are too. Some of them also make perfume and other things which can be easily boycotted.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Friday, 22 August 2008 10:59:13 PM
Nicky

Thanks for the thread and all the good work you do in raising awareness about animal cruelty.

It seems we should have been using the Olympics to highlight the abuse of animal rights in China, as well as human rights.
Posted by Bronwyn, Saturday, 23 August 2008 12:12:27 AM
WOAH.. hang on.. this story came from that 'Right Wing' rag "WorldNetDaily" which also reports on a lot of other material such as the persecution of Christians.. well.. how can we possibly believe such silly stories eh .......?

or..perhaps they actually do care, and present truth which, while unpalatable to many, is still real and I wonder how many of us are prepared to 'take up verbal arms' against the other things they report on where the HUMANS are the ones being slammed into the ground and who knows.. maybe skinned? or.. body organs harvested. (Kosovo Albanians kidnapped 1000s of Serbs and harvested their body parts according to John Pilger!)

Yes... let's be outraged over animal cruelty..

Yes... let's do our bit and refrain from purchasing/supporting such industries..

Yes... let's also recognize future threats to our safety, security and identity, freedom of faith etc while they are in embryonic form.
Some people just wring their hands.. I actually do things.
Posted by Polycarp, Saturday, 23 August 2008 8:24:24 AM
Thanks Nicky for starting this discussion.

One method to check if fur is faux.

Part the fur, real fur has a fine underlayer, whereas fake fur doesn't. Familiarise yourself by checking the fur on your dog or cat.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=fur&marker=1&articleId=1169629019054

"Be 100 per cent sure that it's fake.
You can sometimes tell the difference between real and fake fur by gently separating the hairs going down to the base of the hair. If you can see skin or leather between the hairs at the base the item is real. If you can see a weave or material at base of the hairs the fur is fake.

Most importantly, dont unwittingly buy real fur by mistake. If you are not 100 per cent certain that it is faux - DON'T BUY IT!"
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 23 August 2008 9:05:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy