The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > income tax allowances

income tax allowances

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I was wondering if any body has some type of experience or knowledge in this dept. I was offered a new job a couple of days ago and since then I have manged to find out some info about the job. I have since tried doing a lot of research on the ATO web site but anything I found was either very confusing or as breif as a half a dozen words saying yeah you can do this or that but doesnt answer my questions.

the new job i been offered will mean that I will have to travel from home alot possibly on a 2 or 3 week rotating cycle. The places I will be travelling too are far remote and regional communities right across the whole state, like in the middle of the bush type places where there is no accomadation at all. so the employer will be providing either tents to sleep in or camper vans etc and they will also pay me $100 a day travel allowance or living away from home allowance which ever you wish to call it.

Now my question is the travel allowance that is paid to me ($100 a day etc) is that a taxed allowance each week in your pay and do you have to claim it at the end of the year in your tax return?

If any body has any info about this subject that will enlighten my question so I can make a informed descision as to if I accept the job or not it would be muchly appreciated.
Posted by damilkman, Friday, 15 August 2008 7:57:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do you drive a company car?
Is your petrol being paid for? (Does your allowance cover that?)
It looks to me that they (allowances)are tax-deductible for the company you'll be working for. Keep all your dockets/receipts in any case.
If you have to pay for it yourself it will be part of the job, so becomes tax-deductible for you. As I have done a similar job years ago,I found it a great saving to call into Caravan parks on my route and ask for the keys (toilet etc)if you're coming in late, and pay the owners in the morning on the way out.
Posted by eftfnc, Monday, 18 August 2008 6:15:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy