The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Queensland nude beaches - an example of chronic hypocrisy in law and governance

Queensland nude beaches - an example of chronic hypocrisy in law and governance

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Why is it that we put up with chronic hypocrisy in law?

One of the prime examples is clothing-optional beaches. They are illegal in Queensland. But they are everywhere, up and down the coast! The police know about them, local councils know, the state government knows and adjacent communities know.

How can this situation possibly exist? Why isn’t this reality brought into line with the law, or vice versa? What sort of a complete mockery of the rule of law do we have when a black and white law is just completely ignored by all the relevant authorities?

If nude beaches were formalised, as they have been in other states for decades, they’d have signs put up so that everyone knows about them. But as it is now, most don’t have any signs whatsoever, so people can walk into them without knowing. You can often encounter a lot more confronting stuff than just some old bloke lying on the beach baring his bum to the sun!

On the other hand, I’ve seen young women and families with small kids in the close presence of naked men without any concern at all being shown. So if this is the general case, then why can’t all beaches be clothing optional?

http://www.qldbeaches.com/nude.html
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 12 July 2008 3:27:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The nude beach at Buchans Point, Cairns, is really quite extraordinary. It is in full view of houses on the headland and from traffic on the Cook Hwy. People in south-bound vehicles can easily see naked people on the beach, only about 30 metres away! When I was down there recently, there were numerous car horns, offensive comments from young males and screams from young females, coming from the highway.

So again, if a nudist beach can be allowed to exist under circumstances like this, then why can’t nude beaches be formalised, and become widespread?

How is a person to know what is acceptible and what isn’t when there is such utter duplicity in the law and the policing regime?
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 12 July 2008 4:14:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tit's a serious problem up at Buchan's obviously. Trinity and Yorky's used to be the spots - too many mozzies at Buchan's, but I suppose development never stops.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 12 July 2008 5:41:04 PM
Replace "nude beaches" with something that actually matters, and there might be something here to debate.
Posted by Sancho, Saturday, 12 July 2008 5:57:57 PM
It might be Ludwig that QLD Tourism accepts anything for the great dollar.
Cops might be too few because the QLD doesnt want to spend the money.
Cops all over Australia are so flat out and worse is coming.
Ever see Escape from New York?
Thats a "vision" our of the big cities if there are no more police hirings.
Posted by Gibo, Saturday, 12 July 2008 6:06:35 PM
Dear Ludwig,

From what I've seen on our beaches,
I'd say clothing is already "optional."
And to some who really should cover up...

As for why the law is not being enforced - I think
that the following joke may possible give you the
answer:

An old farmer had a huge property up north on
which he grew apple and peach trees. And out the back
he'd designed a pond for swimming.

One evening the old farmer decided to go down to the
pond. He grabbed his hat and a bucket to
bring back some fruit.

As he got nearer to the pond, he was amazed to hear
the sound of laughter and shouting. When he emerged from
behind a peach tree, he saw five gorgeous teenage
girls skinny-dipping in his pond. As soon as they
saw him, they squealed in alarm and hid themselves in
the deep end.

"We're not coming out until you leave!" one of them shouted.

The old man frowned. "Look here, girls, I didn't come
here to watch you swimming naked in my pond. I'm just here
to feed my crocodile. Don't mind me."

"CROC -ODILE!!" The girls screamed in unison. All five shrieked
with fright and scrambled out of the pool.

"Here let me help you out," said the old man, putting his
arm around the prettiest girl.

Which goes to prove that old men who don't move so quickly can
still think fast and enjoy naked beauty.

The same may apply to Council Officials and Legal Enforcement Officers. :)
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 July 2008 7:44:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy