The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Alternative tax system

Alternative tax system

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I am seeking feedback, to weigh up the pro's and con's for further debate,on a single tax regime on gross income of individuals,partnerships,companies,and capital sales to replace all existing tax regimes of Federal,State and Local governments.Any comments on how this system would affect yourself and/or our society,for better or worse,would be greatly appreciated
Posted by g.w, Tuesday, 8 July 2008 2:15:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A set tax rate, and this is what I assume you are proposing has dier consequences for lower income earners as it is they who require the largest portion of their income just to provide the basics of life.

This is why they are so hard hit by the GST.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 8 July 2008 7:52:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of the main problems that you face is the simpler you make the system, the more unfair it is. The complexity we have now is a result of years of adjustments to reduce the tax burden where it is deemed to be unfair, and to clamp down on those creative enough to exploit loopholes. I suggest it would be very difficult to have a system that is both simple and fair.
Posted by Country Gal, Tuesday, 8 July 2008 9:44:59 PM
I agree,rehctub.Would a healthy threshhold before the tax came into play rid the problem?Maybe a threshhold just above the minimum wage but only for those on or below that,others to pay on all of gross income and capital sales.The tax proposed is a single tax of low single digit% and would need to raise equivalant revenue as is now raised for govt.It could be gathered automatically on each deposit into accounts in financial institutions,unless under the threshhold.It would not require any other tax to be needed.There are plenty of pro's and con's that I can think of but won't list or discuss them all at once here,rather hope people respond with their own ideas or slant on it,and then discuss those.
Posted by g.w, Tuesday, 8 July 2008 9:49:49 PM
Hello,Country Gal,
The tax system's complexity is one main reason for this discussion on this proposal.The more complex,the more loopholes until it becomes incomprehensible to the vast majority,as it is,and therefore a very bad system by definition of a good system;simple and fair.This system would still allow the govt.to control the spending of taxes raised to alleviate difficulties,and deliver services,yet stimulate people to participate and achieve by not being burdensome and allowing them to know exactly where they stand at any time without trying to anticipate tax changes.
Posted by g.w, Tuesday, 8 July 2008 10:37:54 PM
As a suggestion tax withdrawals from bank accounts and credit cards the idea being that it might encourage savings and, of course, save considerable costs in administering the tax laws. However I am not sure how to handle loan repayments.
Posted by Oldy, Wednesday, 9 July 2008 10:44:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy