The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Children of Vietnam Veterans

Children of Vietnam Veterans

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
It is disturbing that figures show approximately three times as many suicides occur amongst children of Vietnam Veterans in comparison to the general Australian population.
(www.aihw.gov.au/publications/health/mvv-svvc/index.html).

As the daugher of a Vietnam Veteran, an only child, born in 1970, I would love to talk to any other Vietnam Vet children who are interested in beginning an online chat forum as there does not appear to be any currently avaiable. I would also be interested to hear from anyone thinking of participating in the families of Vietnam Veteran's national health survey which is to be conducted in the near future over eight years.
Posted by Kathmandu, Tuesday, 24 June 2008 9:15:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
so what is your theory on the suicides?

1. Agent Orange etc

2. Anger at seeing dad so horifically teated by his own people and government? especially being conscripted to fight in a pointless war without even having the right to VOTE for PigIron Bob on the National Service Act
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 11:19:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
3. whininess
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 6:28:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Forgive me, I am new to this but thanks for the responses. I realise there was a long, similar discussion in 2005/06 concerning issues surrounding the children of Vietnam veterans, however, at the age of 37, I am apparently no longer considered at risk by the Dept of Veteran's Affairs and that is the reason I would like to contact others.

In answer to Divorce Doctor: I have many theories on the suicides. I personally believe there is an element of nature and nurture involved (that is, genetic vs. environmental factors in the home). I believe living with someone with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), particularly a role model such as your father, creates a high level of anxiety and eventual inability to deal with, and adjust to life's daily pressures. The small things most people find insignificant, appear insurmountable at times and a feeling of failure and lack of connectedness to others leads to depression and in extreme cases, suicide. As an only child, my dad was controlling and domineering, unable to relate to me (particularly as a girl), nor interact socially. Although my dad never resorted to alcohol or violence, his mental, brainwashing abuse was in many respects, more hurtful and damaging to our family than physical abuse. As an adult, I find I cannot sustain relationships, I am quick tempered and controlling, regimental in my expectations and organisation of everyone and everything and suffer from depression, insomnia and severe anxiety.

AS for Agent Orange, my dad is now 62 and has been recently diagnosed with PRostate Cancer. This is apparently quite common amongst Vietnam Vets.

I love my dad and am terribly proud of him. He was spat on when he got off the plane on Australian soil and called baby killer like all the rest. He threw all his medals in the bin. Like many other Vets, he is a staunch Labour supporter, but looking back in history, it is not hard to see why.

Unfortunately, it seems likely many of the troops returning from Iraq will no doubt suffer PTSD. The cycle will therefore continue
Posted by Kathmandu, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 7:34:49 PM
Dear Kathmandu,

You're a very brave lady, and I admire you tremenduously.

Thank you for being so open and honest
and sharing with us on the Forum,
what must be very painful for you.

I wish you all the happiness in the world.
I'm sure that your father's pain is helped
by your love for him. Having an understanding
daughter would mean a great deal.

My cousin, a doctor, went to Vietnam. To this day he refuses
to discuss what he lived through. Vietnam is a subject that is simply
'off limits,' with him.

A friend's brother ended up having a complete mental break down
after his experience in Vietnam. He died a few years ago.

I don't know Kath, whether this website would be of interest to you,
but I'll give it just in case:

http://www.nrdgp.org.au/projects/mentalhealth/mentalhealt2958.html
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 9:07:56 PM
Kathmandu,

let me deal with the easier Agent Orange [AO] question first

My ex Father in Law was assist commiss for War Service Homes back in 1970s [that was before we sucked the Americam ars* and called return soldiers veterans]

I was best mates with his boss the commiss Keith Medry who was involved in many "junkets" to USA to report on AO effects and he told me things after a few beers he was never meant to tell.

this was the Apoc Now Kurtz situation of "it seemed Govt did not dig what he had to say and his reports were classified"

he was a most honest man and the govt force upon him to simply take the junkets and shut up [like he was Barry Williams of Lonely Fathers] simply killed him via heart attack

but I can tell you [what he told me] that our soldiers WERE in effect given a death sentence as sure as were those at Woomera with the atomic bomb experiments in 1950s

more to follow
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 9:34:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy