The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Time to change the age of consent?

Time to change the age of consent?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
It seems to me that our society has a different attitude to men's and women's sexuality.

If a 15 year old guy successfully seduces his 35 year old female teacher (leaving aside for the purpose of this debate the student teacher aspect), or even if the teacher made the first advances, the attitudes are likely to be...

1. Great work mate, nudge nudge.
2. Lucky guy
3. Wonderful for the guy. Every guy should have a mature woman to educate them on sensual lovin, the way only a mature woman can.

In the reverse situation, 15yo girl and 35yo male teacher, you will find the attitudes are more likely...

1. Disgusting dirty old man. Should be locked up.
2. The poor girl just wanted attention when she seduced him, and the dirty man took advantage.
3. This will scar her for life.

Twice I have read, by coincidence, two stories reflecting the above scenarios within a couple of days of each other, and both times the male teacher got around 5 times the gaol time of the female teacher. In one occurrence I remember the woman successfully got no gaol time, as she said she was drunk and depressed.

I know all cases are unique, but I really think there is a different attitude in our society to the two situations, and the gaol time handed out reflected this.

For whatever reason, men are seen as predatory, and women needing protection. Even if a young couple get together when drunk the male is responsible for the ability of a female to consent. Notice also nobody was at all interested that Henson had naked pics of boys too, and there wasn't half the outcry about Germaine Greer and her book of naked boys. I even see an element of resentment or aggression in society towards young men in particular as they are shagging society's daughters.

Now the law is supposed to reflect society's values. So I say, lets lower the age of consent for boys to 14, and raise it for girls to 18?
Posted by Usual Suspect, Thursday, 12 June 2008 11:04:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
US” Now the law is supposed to reflect society's values. So I say, lets lower the age of consent for boys to 14, and raise it for girls to 18?”

I associate the “age of consent” being that age at which a person is considered able to “consent”. That means they are of a maturity to reason the consequences of agreeing to participate.

That being said, should we extend that level of maturity to other aspects of life, such as voting and drinking?

I can see you being burnt in effigy by the feminist zealots if you were to suggest boys were “mature’ at 14 and girls not “mature” until 18.

LOL when I saw the thread header I thought you were going to talk about voting ages, not sex.

I guess I was mistaken but would suggest, what ever should be decided, it should apply equally to both males and females. Anything else rancours against my sense of what should prevail in terms of gender equality.

For myself, I have to admit I considered myself lucky to have lost “it” at the tender age of 17. However the girl I lost it with was 3 months short of 16.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 12 June 2008 6:50:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm with Col on making the age the same for everyone.

Usual Suspect what you say in regard to the individual cases is oftentimes the case. Although more women are now being jailed for child abuse like in the US. Most of us are probably guilty of thinking along the same lines at different times, although teachers should know better because they are the adult and in a position of authority either way.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 12 June 2008 7:33:38 PM
I agree that the age of consent should be the same for both sexes.

Each of us is an individual - with our own unique personality. Each matures at their own pace. We can't make generalisations - because there's always exceptions to every rule.

So if you're going to change the age of consent for one gender - in all fairness - you must do the same for the other.

It's only when we will recognise each other's individuality, and human worth, that perhaps true equality will come into play.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 12 June 2008 8:03:09 PM
Sure. Let's change the law and all the traditions to suit the 'bad' guys. It'll make things much easier. Noone will need to be investigated or prosecuted; there'll be more room in the jails.

On the other hand, apologists for childish behaviour among young adults are not claiming that the brain is properly formed until the age of 25.

How about 25 for the new age of consent?
Posted by Mr. Right, Thursday, 12 June 2008 9:42:26 PM
I meant are NOW claiming.
Posted by Mr. Right, Thursday, 12 June 2008 9:43:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy