The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Social Networking Sites

Australian Social Networking Sites

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
"Why is it that most Australians flock to American Social Networking sites, shunning Australian ones? For a social network site to be successful in Australia, the platform should be designed for Australians."

add to your list

the site should obey the laws of the web that if it does not come up within 3 seconds the surfer will go elsewhere - this buz one failed dismally and other 2 were not even there

but what IS "social networking" - sounds like a Don Watson weasel word to me

in finally getting to see the site it seemed to be defined as bending the minds of the young by advertising in its most extreme form via peer pressure
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 10:15:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bronwyn: "Looks like a blatant plug for the third site I'd say."

Oh yeah. D'oh! Sorry all. I fed the troll. And now, by posting again, I guess I'm still.... double D'oh!!
Posted by Vanilla, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 10:43:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's my prediction.

Each of these three sites will wither and die. The only difference will be when it happens. Sooner, or later.

The fad is over. Social networking sites have already lost their lustre, which turned out to be nothing more than novelty value in the first place.

What is left of them is being squabbled over by people keen to "monetise" the sites. By which they mean, find a way to earn a buck. But they are quickly coming to the conclusion that the party is over.

And there is no possible virtue in an "Aussie" site. There is nothing specifically national about any of the English language sites - the internet is as effective communicating with the person in the next room (which I do frequently) as with someone across the globe (which I also do, frequently).

Added to which, it would be a shame if we started to see the OLO site playing host to sales pitches.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 5:26:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Looks like I have stirred a storm in a tea cup here. This is good. I will add a bit of salt to the wound. CAN THE REAL AUSSIES COMMENT PLEASE? Would you rather, cut the ties at home and network abroad. Guys charity begins at home. What do you think?

What is a social network anyway? Here is an extract from Wikipedia

"A social network is a social structure made of nodes (which are generally individuals or organizations) that are tied by one or more specific types of interdependency, such as values, visions, idea, financial exchange, friends, kinship, dislike, conflict, trade, web links, sexual relations, disease transmission (epidemiology), or airline routes. The resulting structures are often very complex."

To me this definition resembles that of a community sharing common values. It does not say the links have to be international every time. There is nothing wrong with international ties, thats what the internet is there for "its a global village" alright, but what wrong with starting linking at the grass roots "at home" before you go abroad? That gives you a better understanding of your own community before understanding somebody else's community. What is missing in Aussie that people have to look abroad?
Posted by linkau, Friday, 13 June 2008 12:26:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy