The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Police who do we trust?

Police who do we trust?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hi BELLY & STG...

I did a bit over twenty eight years in the job, and I've now retired.

Coppers are the same as any other vocational coterie. That are empowered, or have vested in them, a power to do a certain thing or things.

Building inspectors, politicians, councillors, by-laws inspector, in fact the list can go on and on, ad nauseam.

Corrupt behaviour can be found in many institutions, no matter what stratum or echelon within the working community, you seek to examine.

Even some of our trusted Medical Doctors (with whom we entrust with our lives) have been prosecuted for ripping off Medicare, to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars, in some cases. Some of our learned legal profession have been found to subtantially overcharge both with their legal fees and disbursements.

I reckon why the coppers seem to come in for more flak then perhaps they deserve is - they generally discharge their duty in the full view, presence, and hearing of the public. Most of us (even coppers) have been breached for a traffic offence at some time or other. Naturally, this can lead to a degree of antipathy toward the copper who had the temerity to actually allege that you were speeding? Heaven forbid, I/we NEVER speed, the copper got it quite wrong.

Dealing with violent individuals (whether drunk of sober), in public is ALWAYS hard. If you use insufficient force, you generally end up getting a flogging.

Conversely, if you use too much force, in order to effect an arrest of a violently resistive offender, then the perception is that you're assaulting him. It's a lose lose situation, sometimes.

Also remember, talking of trust, a copper is the FIRST person you want to see when your in serious trouble, but the LAST person you'd like to have a drink with.

Anyway, that's my two pennys worth. I really must confess though, I'm jolly glad that I'm now retired.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 11 June 2008 6:27:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We have a problem with our soft wear and I dont always check- So apoligies.
What I said was Lewis was stictched up.
Jack Regional Herbett was the only person to accuse Lewis.
Now considering Jacks past you would have to wonder who prepaired the brief and better still put it to trial.'
If you think the Fitzgerald enquiry wasnt shaved your as silly as Belly. Your talking to somebody who helped to try to keep witness out of harms reach.
Oh btw they would be the witnesses that werre told their information was NOT wanted!
Anybody who tried to defend Lewis was well and truely taken care of.
Do try to comment on something you know about -please.

The Lewis trial was one of the most discusting things I have ever witnessed.
But theres plenty more I can assure you.
A well oiled system designed to protect a very curropt system and the good old polys of course.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 11 June 2008 6:28:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having read that self centered comment please try to comment about things you know about.
Chewed it over convinced my self its not worth replying to then remembering glass houses and stone throwers.
Laughing for some time, near rolling on the floor in fact I think it best to leave the thread but with these comments.
Lewis was not stitched up he defamed every good honest cop.
And we do expect better from our police mostly we get it but do not forget my words a good cop is worth more than any community can pay them.
Every day story's often headline ones tell of bad cops and more tales are never told.
these words came from a NSW independent commission against corruption senior police inspector.
Quote remember young cops are frightened to speak out if we get this statement many will come forward its the older blokes we want to change so the young stay in line end quote.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 12 June 2008 5:55:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly
Self serving my left foot. You have walked into the area I am most familar with.
As for Twerry being guilty all you have shown me is you can read a paper because I know all the players involved in that enquiry.
So there for I know on authority you have zero to do with that industry.
Those are the simply facts.
If I can find time I will post what happend to each and every person who was with the friends of Terry Group. Oh and other witness. Mind you they were not witnesses against Terry.
They were making large noises about a particular person within the enquiry staff.
Mind you some of those blokes are not around anymore to support my statement.
You figure out why. goodluck with living in your world of rose glasses.
I have the UPMOST respect for straight coppers like Mic Dury and a dozen others who paid the price for refusing to be brought in on the culture. BUT the culture still exsists. You just have to learn to keep your head down and stay away.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 12 June 2008 1:46:33 PM
There are no honest cops. They are corrupt from the top downwards. I know because I was bashed by coppers all night in Flemington police station. I was only 18 years old and completely innocent of the charges. It was later thrown out of court. The whole police station knew what was happening. I called for help to several people passing the room where I was handcuffed to a concreted down desk in a small room out back. One woman laughed. I was glad to get out of there before the morning crew arrived and gave me further bashings. I've heard that Moonee Ponds is just as bad.

Later they came to my place of accomodation and told residents they were going to kill me. I went to Legal Aid to ask for help. I was advised to run and hide. He told me that a lot of people go into Flemington Station and never come out. I'm 37 now and still remember the horror of it.

In NSW I did a Traffic Controllers course. The instructor was an ex-cop and told the whole class how he and others arrested some teenagers and were told to let them go and forget the whole thing because they were related to a politician. He refused and was sacked. The police in Australia are thugs.
Posted by RuddKill, Thursday, 12 June 2008 4:26:33 PM
Hi there RUDDKILL...

Wow, your language and assertions that all cops are thugs, are pretty strong my friend.

I do understand that you've alleged that you'd experienced an abhorrent and distasteful episode at the hands of police, whilst in custody at the Flemington Station.

I don't pretend to know any of the circumstances of this alleged assault, other than to say, that if the event/s unfolded as you've described herein, then you have certainly been substantially wronged.

Further, you stated that you were relatively young at the time. Did you lodge an official complaint? Either contemporaneously, or soon after it happened?

I won't engage in any further commentary or speculation on this unfortunate affair. Other than to reassure you, that those officers who allegedly engaged in conduct of a kind that appears prima facie, to be unlawful - are very much the exception, and definitely NOT the rule.

Personally, I'm sorry for your experience, RUDDKILL. Basically, this type of behaviour (as alleged) reflects unfavourably on ALL coppers, both serving and retired.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 12 June 2008 6:13:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy