The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What really is PETA?

What really is PETA?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 37
  8. 38
  9. 39
  10. All
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is a radical and extremist organization designed more for people to push their dislikes onto the world than for genuine animal welfare.
Would you not think that an organization that was founded by vegans would be biased towards people that were not vegans? Well PETA is and below is a statement from their web site:

“People who support animal rights believe that animals are not ours to use for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or any other purpose and that animals deserve consideration of their best interests.”

Also pushing their “vegan” doctrine are these links on the front page of their web site:
1) Veg cooking /making the transition.
2) Order Your FREE Vegetarian Starter Kit.
3) Vote for 2008’s Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity.

Why is this important? Because it shows that the founders of PETA are pushing part of their doctrine, not to use animals for food, onto the general public and more recently onto children.
http://www.animalrights.net/archives/year/2005/000166.html

Have these maniacal extremists gone too far? Absolutely! I don’t like the idea of battery hens (chickens), pigs or other animals locked in sheds from birth to production, animals habitats being wantonly destroyed etc. However as a former Farmer (or Rancher) I see absolutely nothing wrong with farming animals for human consumption. But it doesn’t stop there, with PETA trying to get fishing banned as well.

From the front page of PETA’s web site:

“PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.”

Their idea of public education is also propaganda. Definition of propaganda in this context is; “the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement.”

Their idea of animal rescue is also the killing of animals.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/23/EDG11DC9BK1.DTL
http://www.courttv.com/news/2007/0118/PETA_ctv.html
Posted by myopinion, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 12:02:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They are definitely crackpots and extremists, but to dismiss all of their complaints because of who they are would be an ad hominem fallacy.

Once you contemplate and reflect on how humans treat each other, you can only dream of the cruelty inflicted on other living creatures even for simple pleasure, who have no voice and few if any 'rights'.

Take this case of a soldier from the United States military born and raised in a democratic, western nation:

http://jonathanturley.org/2008/03/03/shocking-video-shows-us-soldier-throwing-puppy-off-cliff/

In Christian terms, God destroyed and killed nearly all animal life on the planet in anger and for no particular reason. Basically all these innocent creatures did absolutely nothing wrong and God killed them all.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 6:01:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a fallacious and hysterical account of the true picture.

The poster has manipulated the facts on the Hertford County vs Peta case where the jury found Peta guilty of a minor offence - littering - not animal cruelty.

Peta had these strays professionally euthanased by a registered vet and Peta's staff imprudently placed the carcasses in a county dumpster.

Peta has a policy where they believe that a life of pain and suffering is worse than a quick death, particularly when so many strays end up becoming the victims of vivisectionists.

Peta's main objectives is not the business of finding homes for the millions of animals ill-treated by their owners. Their main objective is to expose the abject cruelty which has occurred for centuries and continues by those in the livestock industry.

That this hypocrite (myopinion) can attack anyone is astonishing. He advised on the cull thread that he is a former sheep farmer and that he rode bulls here and in the US.

Need I remind him that the cattle industry are among the cruellest on the planet. No doubt he endorses the removal of ovaries, testicles, horns and branding of cattle, without pain relief whilst they are incarcerated in a steel crush, bellowing in pain. I am not speaking exclusively on the US. All these acts of cruelty are performed on livestock in Australia.

Both carnivores and vegetarians abhor cruelty to livestock. Carnivores want to know what happens before they consume their meat and they have every right to know.

Without Peta, Animals Australia, Viva and the hundreds of other welfare agencies, Australian citizens would remain ignorant and oblivious to the horrendous actions supported and/or perpetrated by the rash of inhumane "myopinions" who are driven by greed to suppress vital information.

contd....
Posted by dickie, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 6:12:31 PM
Contd....

Peta promotes vegetarianism. What is wrong with that? So do many health professionals, religious orders, environmentalists and ecologists. We are free to choose.

I urge posters to spend five minutes of their time and view the following links - links which are not "air-brushed" but portray a stark picture of the depths to which these monsters have descended.

These are the realities.

We must thank Peta et all for exposing those realities and horrors to the world.

http://www.meat.org/

http://www.waitingforthestorm.com/en/pig-farm-investigation-cruelty

"Three passions have governed my life:
The longings for love, the search for knowledge,
And unbearable pity for the suffering." (Bertrand Russell)
Posted by dickie, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 6:23:12 PM
myopinion

I think you have summed it up pretty well.

Steele

You really are mixed up in your thinking. One day you will realize that you are not God and that we are answerable to our Creator not Him answerable to us. You also show a complete lack of understanding how a merciful God could send His Son to die for your sin. Hopefully one day you will get to know the God personally of whom you so frequently mis represent.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 6:38:32 PM
Hi all

Myopinion, you are already a self-confessed animal cruelty practitioner. I wonder if you have watched or seen the filmed and photographic evidence? How do you think it is made? By some sort of 3D creativity?

PETA is exactly what it says it is - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - note the "Ethical". Do you think you and those like you have nothing to answer for? Yabby claims on other threads that humans are beings of a "higher order". If that is so, humans are capable of recognizing cruelty and knowing right from wrong. Practices in livestock farming are wrong to any thinking person. I have some hens from a battery farm, and how tragic they were when we brought them home. No feathers, no beaks to speak of, gazing around in bewilderment at their first experience of fresh air, sunshine and green grass.

I have seen sheep who have fallen from overloaded trucks, and seen sick and injured sheep loaded on live export ships. I have seen sheep left in a saleyard pen with no feed for nine days. I have seen pigs in sow stalls swaying, gnawing on metal bars and screaming their misery and deprivation. But these are "food" animals, so they don't matter, do they?

Do you think it's fine to drop caustic detergents and like substances into the eyes of cruelly restrained rabbits who have no tear ducts for nothing more than cosmetic purposes, and that animals are horribly and painfully deformed for "scientific" purposes? We do it because they are "like us", and we do it because they "don't react like us".

You need to stop criticizing all the people who are trying to improve the world for these animals, and look back and reflect on your own shameful life. Look at the film at the link Dickie provided, and at the Handle with Care site just to begin with, and try to find a little insight and compassion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing not to abuse animals, including by not eating them.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 8:03:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 37
  8. 38
  9. 39
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy