The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Camden rejects Islamic school - Common sense or bigotry?

Camden rejects Islamic school - Common sense or bigotry?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All
"Camden rejects Islamic school - Common sense or bigotry?"

Both. The decision was for the better. Most expatriate westerners living in Malaysia, Indonesia or other predominantly Islamic countries don't try and instill their culture, religion, sexual beliefs etc., on their host country. So why should we except here? We shouldn't. The community, wherever it is in Australia should have the final say on what effects their community. End of story.
Posted by myopinion, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:13:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I notice that the council was very careful in rejecting the application on factual grounds. And in doing so, they have left the way clear for those proposing the development to approach the Land & Environment Court.

I have been down this route myself in the past, when a "stacked" council vote went against my own - very tiny - application. And I won, because the factual grounds suddenly turned out to be as flimsy as a tissue. Funny that.

We shall see whether there have been similar obfuscations in this case.

But the prudence of the council was undermined a little by one of the residents, who seems to have given the game away. Let's listen to her for a moment - it's reported to be one Kate McCulloch.

"Look at the news channels - it's about oppression, and its just not democratic. Hezbollah is a terrorist organization - I'm sorry, I don't want them in Australia." The Australian May 28th

I believe she might have been the same person seen on the TV News - red hair, Australian flag, white pointy hat with eyeholes - no sorry, I made up that last bit.

Any relation, Boaz?
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:28:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On television one of the public made the comment that the area had many
other cultural groups living in there.

Despite the much larger number of Chinese in various areas of Sydney
there are not the problems the smaller Islamic groups have raised.

Why is it is so ?
I think it is more than terrorism or the racial gang rapes.

Perhaps it is a culture too far !
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:39:05 PM
All other religions have adapted quite well to Austalia and have quietly gone about their worship.

Islam has not, and never will.
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:53:03 PM
By Mr Right: "Islam has not, and never will."

I totally agree.
Posted by myopinion, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:56:28 PM
Dear Pericles,

White pointy hat with eyeholes ...?

You actually made me laugh out loud.

Now, to get serious.

From what I've seen of the architectural drawings of the school project - they're not very attractive to say the least - (resembling - army barrack - like structures) and would not add anything to the landscape of Camden. Also a school that size (1,200 pupils) would be overwhelming in a small rural community. Presenting all sorts of problems - including traffic conjestion.

As I wrote in my earlier post - it's up to the Council and the people
to determine the future direction of their community. The State should stay out of it.

The school should be built in the community in which the majority of students reside. Camden does not appear to be that place.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 2:10:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy