The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Susan Chandler and the case of anti-Jewish comments

Susan Chandler and the case of anti-Jewish comments

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear Easy Times,

I think that this thread needs a bit of lightening up. I'm reminded of a few amusing stories about the ten commandments:

1) Take 2 tablets and call me in the morning.

2) The good news - bad news. The good news, I got them down to 10.
The bad news - adultry is still in.

3) How much are they? They're free. Great, I'll take 10!

Then there's the example of the difference between Christianity and Judaism.

One example of the difference is a major point of some Christian preachers: "Believe, Sinners! If you Believe, you will be saved!"

If that sounds different from Judaism, um, it is. They might have:
"If you believe in Chopped Liver and Chicken Soup, you will be sated!"

But the one I like best is:

Who is Wise? One who learns from all people...
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 22 May 2008 10:50:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd have to agree that Ms Chandler is not the sharpest tool in the shed to have made such a crass remark and deserves to go simply because of that lack of acuity. However, given the insults that flow from the Zionist lobby if ever a question is raised about Israeli conduct or about anything at all that they, in their infinite sensitivity to imagined slights, take as being an assault on their preferred shibboleth, I can't help but feel that she was hard-done-by. Even to suggest the possibility that Israel could be less than squeaky-clean in all things is to invite a flood of pro-Zionist vitriol, including the immediate declaration that one is "anti-Semitic" or a "hater", or some other piece of cant that is designed to divert discussion. The double standard is alive and well and flourishing among Australian Jewry.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 23 May 2008 5:26:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Antiseptic,

You state that the 'double standard' is alive and well amongst Australian Jewry. But the same thing can be said for fanatics amongst all peoples. You get the Zionists among the Jews. The Fundamentalists among the Christians, the Muslim extremists, and so on.

Yet to balance things out you also get people like - Antony Loewenstein, Robert Manne, David Marr, Arnold Zable, just to name a few intellectuals, who present a more rational view, that helps maintain the balance.

As I said in my previous post - an insult is an insult - and bigotry exists everywhere - you don't have to look very far to find it.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 May 2008 10:06:29 AM
No Foxy it’s the minorities who voices are always heard and it is the minorities who people in power always listen too. If an average aussie me like voices criticism of these people you get drones like cj morgan shouting you down. Not shouted down with intelligent well thought out statements but with pure dogmatism. Did you see that show with Kev Rudd last night on abc at 10pm? Did you see all the minorities howling for more? Demanding this and demanding that? Yelling over the top of the PM. This classical minority behavior, giving very little but expecting very much.

Foxy you need to get your priorities right. It does not do anything for Jewish people in the eyes of the main stream by howling in horror about a 3 word email. Its just whinging for whinging sake. When there is a real and legit threat too a minority group because of there “Boy who cried wolf” antics it will probably fall on deaf ears until its too late. This will be their own fault.

As you can see my ears are become ever deafer to these people
Posted by EasyTimes, Friday, 23 May 2008 1:22:43 PM
EasyTimes: << ...but with pure dogmatism >>

I don't suppose you'd like to give an example?

[Hint: "stupid f@cking aussie" doesn't cut it - besides which, it was your terminology anyway]

EasyTimes started this thread with a rant that claimed that a Liberal apparatchik had fallen victim to political correctness, because she was sacked for referring to a candidate as a “Greedy F@cking Jew” in an email that was subsequently leaked by another Liberal apparatchik.

I think the thread has demonstrated well enough that the problem is not one of "political correctness", but one of 'political stupidity' within the Victorian Liberal Party. Not to mention the bigotry of the thread originator.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 23 May 2008 1:38:13 PM
Dear Easy Times,

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Your generalisations when applied to minorities are just that - generalisations.

I tried to point out to you - people who whinge come in all shapes and sizes - they're not restricted to any particular group.

Look at yourself - you're being a bit of a whinge, and looking for scapegoats. I don't believe in the "Us" and "them" syndrome. Afterall fairness is supposed to be one of the traditions that makes this country great.

Yes, I did watch the Prime Minister's speech last night but we must have been watching two different programs. The only person I saw who interjected during the PM's speech was an Indigenous woman who the PM chose to ignore, and she stopped after a while.

Easy Times - this was one person. What minority group are you referring to?

You know, I'm really surprised at you. I always thought you were a fair person.

Did something happen recently that has had an effect on you?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 May 2008 6:01:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy