The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The social cost of great intelligence

The social cost of great intelligence

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The insights given to us by individuals of great intelligence can harm society. We have difficulty in dealing with the pace of scientific and technological developments. The brains of those like Einstein, Newton and Darwin spawn those developments. The decisions on handling them are made by men and women lesser in intelligence and understanding. They simply cannot deal adequately with the physical and biological forces unleashed.

We are trying to cope with nuclear proliferation and the accompanying threat of destruction, environmental changes wrought by technology, advances in medical technology and manipulation using sophisticated psychological techniques. We are failing.

The forces unleashed by the intelligence of Einstein, Newton and Darwin are destroying us because we cannot handle them. Would we better off if those outstanding individuals had not existed.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 8 May 2008 12:55:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We probably do have difficulty in dealing with the pace of scientific and technological development but the wonderful thing about the human species is that we are adaptable.

Rapid change never comes easy but most change is reasonably slow or moderate and eventually we become accustomed to new technologies. The rate of acceptance appears to be exponential in that once we become even a little more technically savvy we can build on that more easily as other new developments come into being.

“The forces unleashed by the intelligence of Einstein, Newton and Darwin are destroying us because we cannot handle them. Would we better off if those outstanding individuals had not existed.”

I am not sure whether anyone can answer that one – we don’t have the luxury of knowing what might have been without them. I would not have included Darwin in that list as his theory is the best we have to date on the origin of man. Any scientific theory/hypothesis (as opposed to religious) is capable of changing in the light of new evidence. I also have highly intelligent religious friends [no I don't think it is an oxymoron :)] who believe in the basics of evolutionary theory they just think God dun it.

Intelligence and innovation in science has also led to great medical dicoveries and has probably saved many lives.

Continued...
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 8 May 2008 4:11:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Continued...

I can see where you are coming from in regards to some of the more insidious developments such as nuclear and biological warfare. Trouble is we are a naturally curious species and development is here to stay (unless we wipe ourselves out in the process). We can only hope that development can be tempered or wisely implemented via smarter political and social structures and a belief in a mutual desire for survival and peace.

I recently read a book written by Rex Weyler titled ‘Greenpeace: The Inside Story’ which detailed the origins of Greenpeace as an anti-nuclear organisation founded primarily by a Quakers group. It recites experiences of the first round of nuclear testing in the US and the impact on those living in nearby areas. The scientists involved found themselves increasingly uneasy about the impact of their research and the potential impact in the future. There was (allegedly) some unease at the political level but not enough to halt nuclear research because of Hitler’s foray into nuclear research at that time.

Who knows how many other insidious weapons have been manufactured that have been put in the “too nasty” basket, we certainly have the capability of producing even more weapons of mass destruction but the advancements in science will probably mean we won’t be able to see them.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 8 May 2008 4:13:41 PM
David f “The forces unleashed by the intelligence of Einstein, Newton and Darwin are destroying us because we cannot handle them. Would we better off if those outstanding individuals had not existed.?”

I think the social costs of stupidity are of a far more detrimental consequence than some individuals being intellectually gifted.

I enjoy Mozart. I cannot play a note of music but part of me can not only appreciates but cherishes and delights in the creative genius who crafted such splendid arias and concertos etc and my life is enriched by same.

So would the world be a better place if we lived in ignorance of Newtons laws of physics? Hardly we might have electricity but still be pondering how to control it.

What harm has Darwin done, except present a focus for the religious bigots?

Einstein has helped define the relationship between humanity and the universe in which we live. I do not pretend to understand any of it but I see no “destruction” being derived from the existence of that knowledge, except by the small and frightened people who are fearful of anything which they cannot hold, hit on concrete and it not break.

My world is better for these men having graced the earth.

I would hope to make some small contribution too but that will be for others to decide.

The great tragedy of life is not, as the men you name, to have contributed to the progress of human evolution through individual ideas and thought but to have lived and die and no one notice
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 8 May 2008 4:30:28 PM
I literally could not disagree more. Great men and women push culture forward; they are the drivers of civilisation. They challenge us to keep up, to learn more about the world, to get closer to the truth.

Advances in medical technology have saved millions of lives both in the developed and developing world. And thought it's true we've damaged the environment, we are know looking to those with expertise to invent technology that is going to help us solve these problems.

Mankind is always questing, always exploring and moving forward. Swap places with a peasant — or even a noble person — in the middle ages and see how you like it. Invention and intellectual courage have improved the quality of our lives in countless, countless ways.

Hurrah for brainiacs!
Posted by Vanilla, Thursday, 8 May 2008 4:52:36 PM
Col Rouge wrote:

"What harm has Darwin done, except present a focus for the religious bigots?"

Darwin's work is the basis of modern biology. One technical achievement stemming from his insights is the ability for genetic manipulation. Where that will end we know not.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 8 May 2008 6:35:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy