The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The power of indoctrination

The power of indoctrination

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
From the moment we're born, society's rules and regulations are imposed upon us. What this means, is that our thoughts and actions are not our own. Therefore, the majority of the population remains unaware of who they really are, and how they live. I say "the majority", because it is possible to fight this process. Now to do so, we must somehow re-manufacture ourselves. And if we don't, we will continue to do the bidding of a racist, sexist, and exploitative system that just doesn't care.
Posted by Haralambos, Tuesday, 6 May 2008 11:44:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haralambos,
We are all products of our conditioning and grow up within the parameters of our cultures and societies. I am not sure how you could be raised in a completely non-influencing or conditioned environment. Groups or tribes set up rules often to ensure their survival even if the rules are rudimentary it would be difficult to be raised in a vacuum (if you get my meaning).

When we grow and mature we become more aware of some of the flaws (if that is what we perceive) in our own culture and this is when we, as adults, can take action to correct them even if it is just by our own individual relationships with the people around us.

Hopefully as we evolve, exploitation, sexism and racism might be minimised as our lines of communication open up and people of different cultures learn to live together harmoniously. This tolerance will come at the local and individual level rather than by any mass social reform and it will take time.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 10:20:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah that reminds me of some lyrics from Paul Dempsey.

'I don't want to slide into apathy, and I don't want to live in captivity.'

Hmmm.

'Therefore, the majority of the population remains unaware of who they really are, and how they live.'
I thought that was part of the maturing process.

'What this means, is that our thoughts and actions are not our own. '
I can't agree really. Actions are always your own. I believe in personal responsibility. I think thoughts are shaped by your experiences thus far, and in the end everyone really lives in their own world. I know my world is vastly different to other people's, and I know I'm just wallpaper in other people's lives.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 10:34:07 AM
How Emo.
Posted by Bugsy, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 11:14:52 AM
Bugsy: "How Emo."

*nearly spurts coffee out of mouth but manages to contain it*

v. funny
Posted by Vanilla, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 11:37:25 AM
This rather challenging topic needs to be psychologically unpacked so that the easily outwitted are not.

PROPOSITION 1 Haralambos claims "we are all products of our environment and out thoughts are not our own"

PROPOSITION 2 In direct contradiction to 1 above, he then says we can "re-manufacture ourselves"

He also alludes to the 'majority' being the dimwitted masses it seems, and those with 'special knowledge' i.e..HIM and his cronies, or.. 'the enightened ones' (sounds a tad like the ELITE) AAAH.. "they" know how to fix it.

But the problem is.. just a second ago ur telling us that 'our thoughts are not our own' hmmmm *scratches head*..

How pray tell, do those who's thoughts are not their own, suddenly come up with a re-manufacturing plan? One what basis? by who's rules?

OH WAIT.. I get it now....

And if we don't, we will continue to do the bidding of a racist, sexist, and exploitative system that just doesn't care.

So.. it appears that only a small enlightened few (Haralambos and crowd) know what 'racist' and 'Sexist' mean.. and they will interpret these truths to the rest of we dimwits.

Again.. I come back to 'our thoughts are not our own'...and does it occur to Hara...that HIS thoughts about sexism and racism might not be his own?

Is it possible that Hara has been brainwashed by some ideology which he now feels is going to re-manufacture us?

Now.. that's what I and Gibo and Runner and others would claim for the work of Christ in our lives.

The difference is, what we proclaim (however bunglingly or to some laughably) is based on the most significant event on earth, and from which we define time "BC/AD" it is now 2008 years from.....? yes, we know it.

Hara, if you want to be re-manufactured, or society to be, I suggest you allow Christ to flood your being, mind, will and emotion.. and be renewed in Him.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 11:38:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy