The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why are Animal Welfare groups branded as extremist by some?

Why are Animal Welfare groups branded as extremist by some?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
PALE – is that what you want to be called?

It seems to me that you know very little about how animals are killed in your own country let alone how they do it overseas. A walk down a slaughter line would remedy that for you.

You want people to know what a stun gun is? Why?

All animals killed in Australian abattoirs are stunned before killing.

Wether that stunning is via electric shock, Co2 or captive bolt, all animals are stunned and all have a knife stuck in their throats to bleed them out.

Btw they would also recover from that stunning if given time, they are not killed by the stun. Why? Because they need the animal’s heart to be beating when it is stuck to pump the blood out.

“It is important that the public also are aware that a huge amount of these animals Australia sends are taken home to be killed”

Thousands of animals are ‘home killed’ in this country, another fact you seem to be unaware of. Its seems you just choose to ignore what happens in your own backyard.

This is part of the reason animal welfare groups get labeled as extremists. You don’t bother to learn your facts before condemning something.
Posted by PF, Thursday, 26 October 2006 11:31:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its important the public know what a stun gun is for two reasons.

One- because Yabby raised it. Two so public can make a informed decision.

People need to know what Yabby refered to being fair to them and animals.

You made a good point when you raised the fact all animals are killed in Australia receive some sort of pre stunning.

Thats the whole point.

That is not the case in other countries and goes to one of the bones of the issue and cries of protests world wide.

I really hope you are not suggesting that RSPCA are uninformed
You are again reminded I work in conjunction with RSPCA QLD and AFIC who do the Halal Slaughter Accreditations. For your own sake I suggest you think before you answer that question.

Slaughtering methods have been suggested here as a joint proposal from Mark Townend CEO RSPCA Qld, AFIC and PALE.

http://www.halakindmeats.com/submissions.html

If any organisation has spent time in plants it would have to be us.

I am also three generation farming family.

Yes millions of Animals are killed in Australia- by bolt or gun if in the bush normally.

Millions are also slaughterd Halal using a stun gun in Australia as well.
Then we have Kosha which I will discuss another time so not to confuse the public.

Some Animal Groups do get taged extreme.

Instead of working to find better slaughter methods they protest about eating meat.

This is counter productive and ends up doing more harm than good.

RSPCA and PALE are a main stream groups of people who believe animals should be slaughtered as close to their place of origin as possible.

That is in complete conflict with Live Exports.

The RSPCA stepped up the campaign against Live Exports last year.

All groups and most members of the public share a common interest to make sure animals are slaughtered here with pre stunning as you pointed out.
Other than people in the live exports industry and shipping agents we all agree the findings of three enquiries which recomended live exports to be banned
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 26 October 2006 1:35:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I feel that you are at risk of being branded extreme yourself because you insist on bringing this subject into all threads you post on. It has been hammered to death here on other threads for weeks now. How many times have we seen the same links to your site put up? Its all getting rather boring.

Lets not go back around the same old track and stir up the same old arguement.
Posted by PF, Thursday, 26 October 2006 2:00:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Yes millions of Animals are killed in Australia- by bolt or gun if in the bush normally."

Well those that happen to be killed in an abattoir might be, not
so long ago at Robbs Jetty, they would simply slit their throats.
Most sheep killed on farms and home butchers etc, have their
throats slit. No stun guns, right here in Aus. Plenty of young
country kids learn how to kill their first sheep, taught by
their dad, much like in the Middle East.

You can yell from the rooftops all you like, the rspca can do
the same. Fact is if there are not the workers to do the slaughtering,
it can't be done in Australia. Its not about training, most meatworks
train their own.

I am one of the loudest proponents on OLO for encouraging the
import of seasonal contract labour, to increase abattoir capacity,
especially in times of this, like drought. Fact is that most
respondents are against it, they want one thing, more money for
themselves, bugger anything else.

The labour party is against it too and whilst they are against it,
the Libs won't risk it, for fear of the next election. Simple
as that.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 26 October 2006 2:17:36 PM
Yabby

You naughty boy

Wasnt going to reply but then it occured some members of the public might be gullible enough to believe you.

What stands out in my mind is that if you really thought that was still happening either you would not report it.

I think I can rest my case as to your real interest in animal welfare.
Dont trust the web pages and reports if you dont want to end up with egg on your face.

Robbs Jetty abattoir has been closed for many many years.

There was some work carried out under research of diseases in 1992 under Mike Paton vet with DPI and the plant did operate at that time again for a while after being closed in 1986.

They always used pre stunning.

I take it your aware of the accreditations for export meat and local meat falling under two seperate authorities.

One being AQIS and the others the actual State Governments under DPI.

If you know plants in Australia operating without some form of pre stunning either please let me know.

The other thing I have not bothered to tell you is that Dr Hugh Wirth is no longer the President of RSPCA or WSPA for that matter.

However you are out there trying your best to stop a NFP organisation who work for no wages and put in out of their own pockets to help animals stopped from posting to the public.

Your on the money however regarding labour for meat plants.

Your loud cries should be heard

AQIS and DPI will be after Graham if you keep posting such rubbish. Not fair on him and another good reason for real names so peoples claims can be accountable.
When I told them this nonesense was on a political public forum under the code name Yabby they were unimpressed to say the least.

The good news is I have now been alocated the job to arrange your cruise
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 27 October 2006 1:28:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well as it happens I am about the same age as you are. A friend
of mine, about my age, used to work for AQIS. As it happens, he
used to work in meat plants. He told me that when he was younger,
they used to simply slit their throats at some of the plants
he went to in WA.

Not so long ago, is a question of time. If you happen to think
that you were younger a hell of a long time ago, well speak
for yourself about how old you feel :)

So I'm guessing here, but I'd say it was in the 70s. Thats really
not that long ago, I was in my 20s then.

Whether an organisation makes profit or not, is to me not an
issue. Most just happen so seek donations. An organisation can
in fact be doing damage to others, damage their ability to earn
a livelyhood etc. They might promote a cause which makes no
sense. I saw such an organisation on the net the other day,
claiming how evil the rspca were. Sorry, I disagree.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 27 October 2006 2:22:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy