The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Olympic spirit besmirched?

Olympic spirit besmirched?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I really did not want to write any further on the issue of Tibet. My views have well and truly been canvassed.

However, I am most interested on a mini-poll of what the readers of On-Line think about the riots that are happening along the route of the Olympic Flame. I am calling them riots, you may call them protests, others may call them demonstrations.

Perhaps readers could address the following questions:

1. There has been much discussion about using the Olympic Games to voice protest over human rights issues in general and Tibet in particular. Should the Olympic Games be above sport entirely?

2. Is all this violence and disruption helping or hurting the cause espoused by the rioters/protesters/demonstrators (r/p/d's)?

3. How many of those involved in the r/p/d’s are well informed from primary sources and actually know what they are talking about?

4. How many of those involved in the r/p/d’s actually know what they are asking for? ‘Free Tibet’ means what exactly?

5. Which do you think is the most effective means of addressing the issue of human rights in general and Tibet in particular with the Chinese; these violent r/p/d’s or calm respectful dialogue as suggested by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd?

DialecticBlue – Graeme Mills
Posted by DialecticBlue, Tuesday, 8 April 2008 5:35:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What concerns me FAR more than the violent protest, is the presence of what appear to be ETHNIC CHINESE MINDERS.. from the PRC surrounding the torch....... what's THAT about?

If, it turns out to be the thing the PRC was requesting (demanding?) for the Australian leg... Chinese police/military looking after security in OUR country... (a pox on that imperialist/colonialist insulting idea) then is it probably one of the worst insults that could be directed at our countries and dignity.

We are NOT Tibet... we are NOT a Chinese colony.

I'm very close to actually supporting the responses by protesters thus far, because I didn't see they were trying to physically hurt anyone, nor destroy property. Perhaps they were in reality a 'peoples militia' seeking to rid their streets of invading Chinese military?

Lets do all we can to protest the Imperialist, Capitalist Chinese Governments disgraceful annexation of Tibet, and their ruthless and disgusting oppression of the people.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 8 April 2008 6:12:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Olympic spirit isn't about burying ours heads in the sand for the sake of entertainment.
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 8 April 2008 7:47:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does it really matter what happens to the Olympic spirit?
Its become a trashy venue.
What was, if there ever was anything of any value in the games except for the few who wanted pleasures apart from reaching out to the worlds poor people... is almost dead:). That smile is me happy about that.
The Olympics have become little other than a sexfest for the immorality of the athletes.
They handed out some 40,000 condoms at the Sydney Olympics. Its no different from the German World Cup soccer match where they seduced 40,000 girls from all over Europe to meet the pagan lusts of the soccer fans. What a misery that would have caused to so many young women.
A quick death for the games might be appropriate.
Posted by Gibo, Tuesday, 8 April 2008 7:59:15 AM
Even Hitler knew what the real value of the Olympics was.

It's become just another venue for political grandstanding and economic opportunism - whether you're the host nation and want to create a certain impression - or whether you're a nation who wants to boycott the proceedings for your own reasons.

The original spirit of the Olympics was never a part of the modern version and as long as the athletes compete under national flags it never can be.

Why the sudden interest in the fate of Tibet anyway? They've been under occupation since 1949 - almost as long as Israel has existed - and except for a number of dedicated long-term protestors, most have not given then a second thought until now. Palestinians who protest against occupation aren't seen in the same way as protesting Tibetans.

Like the passion for the Olympic Games themselves, I'm fairly certain the current indignation will fade within days of the closing ceremony and we will go back to "business-as-usual" and the next bright, shiny distraction will be dangled before our eyes to keep us occupied and distracted from reality.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 8 April 2008 10:10:54 AM
I think it's a successful and hopefully ongoing protest. The Olympics are a international event with a focus on international relationships. They have *long* been politicised.

And why the sudden interest in Tibet? Well, recent events, for a start. But the Olympic torch has given protesters a mobile and well-publicised venue to express their dissent. You can't be democratic in China, but supporters of an independent Tibet will be exercising their democratic rights to protest every country between wherever they are today and Beijing.

Millions of people are learning about the issue. That can't be a bad thing.
Posted by Vanilla, Tuesday, 8 April 2008 10:20:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy