The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Toilet cleaners: their part in the death of a world.

Toilet cleaners: their part in the death of a world.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
For those who are into saving the planet I find it strange that so few of you are seen jumping up and down about toilet cleaners and what they are doing when they reach the sea.
This morning I used a "spray on bowl" cleaner and it stung my nose. What, I wondered, would it be doing to the fish?
My friend down the road uses a blue goopy thing in a plastic bracket on the side of her bowl and, seriously, it looks so thick at the water level of the bowl, one could stand a spoon up in the mixture.
Does anyone know what goes down the toilet in chemical form?
Do they filter it out?
Do we think the Greenies will ever tackle to chemical corps on this issue?
I cant in all conscience use that product again.
Any ideas on good products?
Maybe I should just use salt and hot water.
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 31 March 2008 10:50:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antyhing Eco-friendly is exy as hell (for some reason). So much rubbish out there before you can come across a decent one. Home made stuff is rubbish...in my experience.

Everything ends up in the water, and if they're considering recycling that 'water' then we'd better start considering what we're dumping down the dunny.

Try breathing in 'Exit Mould'.
Posted by StG, Monday, 31 March 2008 12:23:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No thanks on the "Exit Mould" StG.
I never really liked chemical companies.
They never seemed to move all that far away from the gross like Zyklon b.
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 31 March 2008 2:55:06 PM
You will find that dedicated greenies only scrub out the toilet bowl and pour vinegar down the toilet.

I try to squirt Domestos around the rim once a week and let the chlorine work its magic for 8 hours, confident that the sewerage works is working properly. In these days of privatisation and failure to invest in infrastructure that might be a false assumption.
Posted by billie, Monday, 31 March 2008 7:41:04 PM
Gibo what a good idea to create a thread on environmentally-friendly products.

I have taken a lot of cleaning advice from my late grandmother, who has always been a ‘greenie’ ever before the word was invented. Her house always smelled so fresh and clean.
She made most of her own cleaning products from basics like pure soap flakes, baking soda, white vinegar, washing soda, salt, borax, lemon oil, eucalyptus oil, (this makes a good disinfectant and many insects hate it), mineral oil, grapefruitseed extract (also a disinfectant). I use tea tree oil as well.
If you google ‘homemade environmentally-friendly products’ you will find some useful recipes.

I subscribe to this newsletter http://www.greenlivingtips.com/ which can be helpful as well.

What I also like is the micro fibre cleaning cloths and sponges now on the market; these make cleaning so much easier and some clean without the use of cleaning products at all
Posted by Celivia, Monday, 31 March 2008 10:19:28 PM
Aah...Celivia...thanx for that. How lost we are becoming.. or rather how much precious knowledge about such simple and more natural ways of doing things is being lost.

I'll note all those things now :) and add them to my 'survivalist' to-do list :) *grin*

Eucalyptus oil.. what a wonderful natural ingredient.. some times when my nose is blocked when going for a walk, I grab a few leaves from a tree, crush them up and sniff them..works wonders.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 1 April 2008 6:05:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy