The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Most Muslims are moderate

Most Muslims are moderate

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All
"Some 93% of those polled called themselves "moderate" Muslims
The largest survey to date of Muslims worldwide suggests the vast majority want Western democracy and freedoms, but do not want them to be imposed.

The poll by Gallup of more than 50,000 Muslims in 35 nations found most wanted the West to instead focus on changing its negative view of Muslims and Islam.

The huge survey began following the 11 September 2001 attacks in the US.

The overwhelming majority of those asked condemned them and subsequent attacks, citing religious reasons.

The poll, which claims to represent the views of 90% the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, is to be published next month as part of a book entitled Who Speaks For Islam? What A Billion Muslims Really Think."

And

"The research also indicates most Muslims want guarantees of freedom of speech and would not want religious leaders to have a role in drafting constitutions.

Those polled also said the most important thing the West could do to improve relations with Muslim societies was to change its negative views towards Muslims and respect Islam.

The authors said the conflict between Islam and the West was not inevitable, but needed decision makers to listen and consider new policies if the extremists on both sides were not to gain ground.

Read it all at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7267100.stm

So, who's going to tell Boazy?
Posted by Vanilla, Thursday, 28 February 2008 11:38:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you so much for trying Vanilla.

But so,so, many refuse to listen.

Wait for it!
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 28 February 2008 12:58:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
fortunately, we don't have to care what boaz thinks. we do have to care what the american political elite think, and they think they have found a replacement for communism as the devil incarnate.

it's too bad the mugs there, and here, are dimwitted, or at least ignorant, but it's been like that since og led the war against zog, with the war cry "zogians are devils!"

i wonder if a parallel poll was done among christians, asking: "how do you feel about [turn the other cheek] and [do unto others] as applied to humans on the other side of the county line?"
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 28 February 2008 1:07:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanilla,
Turkey is preparing to publish a document that represents a revolutionary reinterpretation of Islam - and a controversial and radical modernisation of the religion.
As part of its aggressive programme of renewal, Turkey has given theological training to 450 women, and appointed them as senior imams called "vaizes".They have been given the task of explaining the original spirit of Islam to remote communities in Turkey's vast interior.
read the whole article at BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7264903.stm
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Thursday, 28 February 2008 1:56:57 PM
VANILLA..

I have a better question. "When will you 'get it' that I am not attacking 'all muslims'"

I am doing 2 things.

1/ Raising awareness of some of the darker aspects of Islam, and for the record.. MOST Muslims don't have the slightest clue about them, which is why I don't sink my teeth into 'Muslims'... (except those radical ratbags who hold up signs like 'exterminate' us)

2/ Raising awareness of the danger OF the radical ratbags.. and I include among them Wassim Dourhri who was asked 3 times by Tracy Grimshaw "Is Australia an Enemy of Islam" and he avoided the question each time.

If you want a dose of the 'radical' ratbags.. Court 3-3a in County court Melbourne.

So.. I find myself in total agreement with you "93% of Muslims are moderate".... when have I argued against that ?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 28 February 2008 2:30:49 PM
So, 93% of Muslims call themselves moderate.

They would say that.
Posted by Mr. Right, Thursday, 28 February 2008 3:02:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy