The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are men necessary?

Are men necessary?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
What if women could have children without men?

I don't mean parthenogenesis or cloning anything like that.

I mean what if our species could enjoy all the evolutionary advantages of sexual reproduction without the need to have men around.

See:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/inconceivable-482509.html

SNIP

Soon, it may be possible for any couple - gay, straight, infertile - to create a baby that carries both parents' genes.

Imagine your street 20 years from now. Your kids may have grown up and left home, but who might be living next to you? It could be a young lesbian couple and their biological daughter - created when an egg of one of the women was fertilised with the synthetic sperm made from the skin cells of the other. The family on the other side may have a healthy boy, created in the test tube when sperm from the father was inserted into an artificial egg created from the skin of the mother.

END SNIP

Lesbian women wouldn't have to "waste" half their pregnancies on males. They could outbreed heterosexual women.

To the extent that sexual orientations are inherited it may be not the "meek" but lesbians who inherit the earth.

On the other hand maybe some remaining heterosexual women will want to keep a few toy boys around to provide sexual gratification.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 12 February 2008 9:27:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steven,

You ask, "Are men necessary?" I can't imagine my life without mine.
And, I am fortunate that he likes me, despite having known me for a long time.
I like the idea of longevity - you don't have to keep on explaining yourself.

To me he's the perfect man because he satisfies my emotional appetite. People either connect or they don't. And we do, which means we're beginning to mould to one another. But the moulding process takes time.

You need time - active time in a relationship. I like to be able to say, "Let it fall..." when an evening falls into something beyond what was originally allotted. Let it just fall into that wonderful, unscheduled time when relationships happen.

You have to have that empty time, empty space for a relationship, whether it leads to communication, as it frequently does, or to a romantic situation, or both!

Too often when people are dating, they're rushed into being sexual - a question of time again.

I like to have taken the time to discover each other. If both of us like what we have found - it's exhilarating, and for me, sheer magic.

My soul-mate is - mysterious, sensitive and strong, all the qualities I look for in a man. I love tenderness. But it is the rarest emotion one encounters. So I'm truly blessed.

"Are men necessary?" - Mine is - to me!

"Come my love and we shall wander,
All of life to see and know,
In the season's lostward rambling,
All things come and all things go.

We shall climb the snowy mountains,
Sail across the rolling sea,
We shall live for one another,
I for you and you for me.

We'll go down to green grass meadows,
Where the cold winds never blow,
If we taste the wine of loving,
Only you and I shall know.

Come my love and we shall wander,
Just to see what we can find,
If we only find each other,
Still the journey's worth the time."
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 12 February 2008 2:50:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
STEVEN....thanx for further underlining the insanity of MIUAUG.

Your problem though, is that you, as an Atheist, don't have anything to offer except to 'state' the problem.

Far better for one to offer a SOLUTION to the problem after stating it.

FOXY said an important thing "Mine is...for me" and thats our problem.

Not Foxy or her ilk..but the idea reflected in her statement 'for me'....

Our current post modern social values are very much 'for me'... but not maybe for him..or her.. and why should it be ? after all.. we each come up with our own truth....right ?

And of course.. that condition (and its a serious one) leaves a society absolutely vulnerable to attack on every level. We have dug ourselves a hole..from which there is no escape.

How much better it would be if we could or would all voice with rapturous approval and enthusiasm "Men..and Women are wonderfully made, for each other" and of course, to totall send me into orbit, one could add "...by God".

The clear implication then is... that we will only be truly fulfilled when we live according to the divine plan.

The clear problem with that..is that until you have known it... you can't look back and say "Wowwwww... if ONLY I'd know about this beforehand" :)

John3:3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

by all means take issue with that statement..but puh-lease don't argue it with 'me'... argue it with the one who said it.
....perhaps some time on our knees would reveal some hitherto illusive answers.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 12 February 2008 3:29:49 PM
Boazy: "no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again"

Does being born again require a father and a mother, or would two lesbian parents suffice?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 12 February 2008 3:42:14 PM
LOL CJ Morgan!
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 12 February 2008 3:46:51 PM
It depends on the man. Eddie Maguire, for example, is totally surplus to requirement. So is Boazy, I fear.

There's a few women I could do without too. I wouldn't miss Sandra Sully, though I'm afraid my husband would.
Posted by Vanilla, Tuesday, 12 February 2008 4:45:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy