The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Don't Apologize For Me!

Don't Apologize For Me!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
As an Aboriginal person, I wouldn't want an apology from a narrow minded insecure bigot like you kathy,

When Kevin does apologise he's be expressing something that you don't have the intellect or the heart to understand.

So why don't you just put some ear plugs in or watch your soapies or playschool, or teletubbies or whatever it is that entertains you.

Leave the real world out there for the real people! We'll be fine without you!
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 9 February 2008 6:28:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed Rainier!

To be honest I cannot see that that one word could be that important. I am a cynic who believes that the phrases "I love you" and "I'm sorry" are the most abused phrases on this planet.

BUT; If this one word brings any peace to Australian indigenous peoples then they should have it.

I am also disgusted at the rationale that children were forcibly taken from their parents because they were being abused.
You mean ALL of them? I think not, and THAT is the final insult to injury
Posted by Ginx, Saturday, 9 February 2008 8:35:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
calling them stolen if you steal from a shop or someones wallet this is stealing when you steal a person thats kidnapping why arnt you called the kidnapped generation i guess if i stole a lollie pop would i be kiddnapping it why is rudd sorry you want to really know the truth australians are sorry for voting him into power kevin rudd was not elected just because he was going to say sorry to the kiddnapped generation he was elected because he promised a lot of things to help the country if i knew his first ever promise he was going to deliver was for the kiddnapped generation i reckon we all would have had a second thought as to who we elected why do you think he is only apologizing on behalf of the parliment because he knows most australians feel the same way i do sorry for what happened to you all but i didnt kiddnapp ya kids some old fart with power did why dont you find out who he was and go piss on his grave then ya may feel better i feel sorry for your elders your generation now has no respect thats why prime minister howard had to intervein again he had children removed because they were in danger did he kiddnapp them to he removed them cause of sexuall abuse and drunken sods that alcohol ment more to them than there own children elders said they would deal with the seven mongrels who raped that little girl i hope they take them to the out back shove a boomerang up there arse one that wont come back and spear them in there eye of there weener and i dont apologize for writing this it is my freedom of speech and get it right you were kidnapped i can eat my lollie pop i stole i can wear the clothes i stole i can spend the money i stole but if we stole the aboriginals they didnt get eaten they were held captive by the government you were not stolen you were kiddnapped
Posted by isatoy, Sunday, 10 February 2008 12:59:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm amazed at the ignorance and venomous bigotry seeping from the minds of a few here.

I'm amazed, but not surprised.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 10 February 2008 6:44:01 AM
Rainier,
I would like to ask you what you would do if, wherever you are in the world, you came upon an, in your opinion, neglected & abused child. Would you leave it to it's dreadful fate or would you take (steal) it & take care of it.
I don't view this as frivolous so please refrain from your standard acid remarks.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 10 February 2008 11:59:54 AM
In 1997, the Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission released a damning and painful report, "Bringing Them Home, on perhaps the darkest chapter in the nation's history: that of the 'stolen generation.' It described how thosands of Aboriginal children of mixed race were taken from their parents as part of a systematic policy in order to 'breed out the colour.' Police were used to find and steal children. They had orders not to tell them or their parents where they were being taken.

As previously suppressed files now reveal, there was often no pretence of taking into care 'neglected' children, who were stolen from loving families. Robert T Donaldson, an inspector of the perversely named Aborigines Protection Board, became infamous as the 'kids collector.' A gaunt figure who roamed New South Wales, appearing with sweets and disappearing with children.

The policy was inspired by the eugenics movement, which was fashionable in the first two decades of the twentieth century and spread the fear that white women were not breeding fast enough and the 'white race' would be 'swamped.' During the 1930s, this was known as 'assimilation' and was promoted by the Professor of Anthropolgy at
Sydney University, AP Elkin, who speculated that Aborigines were the 'lowest race' and 'parasites' that should be 'absorbed.'

The boys were sent to sheep and cattle stations as labourers and paid in rations and pennies. The girls, who were the majority, were sent mostly to the Cootamundra Training Home for Aboriginal Girls, where they were trained to be domestic servants, then 'indentured' to 'masters' in white middle-class homes. The historic parallel is with the use of black slave girls as domestics in the American southern states before Emancipation.

While books, plays and laments have been written about the dispossession and suffering of black Americans, there has been only a tentative recognition in Australia.

It is time to acknowledge the past.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 10 February 2008 12:34:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14