The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia Day - Shot in the arm for farmers what we can do this year to help

Australia Day - Shot in the arm for farmers what we can do this year to help

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
As Kevin Rudd presented this years Australian of the year award it was good to see the outback getting some over due attention.

Many people blame farmers for the hike in meat prices and veggies.

The truth is farmers are still only getting around $2.70 per kilo for beef that is sold to you by Woolworths and Coles etc for $16.00 per kilo while at the same time paying more than double in feed bills.

There is an enquiry into this been opened by Kevin Rudd and Chris Bowen that will last about six months?

I don’t reckon those old real deal farmers will take much notice of it. They have seen them come and go.

I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on how we could become closer to our Aussie farmers by supporting them in a more direct manner.

Perhaps if some schools liked to adopt a farm and it could be promoted by someone like Australia all over.

Now farmers are a pretty shy lot so it would have to be ideas that were not too over the top.

However most farmers would I am sure be happy to have the kids at the farm for a camp out for a few days.

Those who oppose meat eating could support the crop farmers who do it really tough.

Perhaps schools to raise funds to build a chain of fast food veggie delights.

Whatever ideas you have we would love to hear how we can support our farmers both crop veggies and meat.

Or perhaps you just would like to share your favorite bushy poem with us.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 9:20:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
if we're going to socialize agricuture, it seems fair to socialize other industries as well. if you don't want to do that, oz agriculture needs an umbrella organization with power.

farming in oz is a chancy business, and too many people are trying to do it. when some cockie on the 6 oclock news says he hasn't broken even for ten years, my response is not "what a shame", it's "move to the city".

i suspect the industry needs a national organization that provides finance, training and book keeping- and fires farmers that can't make a living for ten years.

it could also support the scientific background to suit oz farmers to oz conditions. raising cotton is crazy, and maybe 'roo herding should replace cattle.
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 31 January 2008 7:19:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Strewth! You're all heart DEMOS!

I agree that we have to do something pronto about the nonsense that is cotton/rice farming, an absurdity in the driest part of this continent. I agree that we have to stop nurturing inefficiencies.

Like any other profession there ARE inefficient farmers, many of them implementing farming practices that have further reduced the productivity of their land. ( I know of one farmer, now deceased, who for decades not only kept all his trees, but planted more. He was laughed by neighbouring farmers. No prizes for guessing who has the more fertile productive land now).

What I cannot agree with is the glib assertion that our farmers should move to the city if they complain about their lot! Excuse me?
Fair go DEMOS; if that occurs we will end up in a dramatically worse situation!

We ALL have to change our attitude. South Australia is getting a metaphorical dribble of water from the Queensland floods because rice/cotton farmers upstream are legally entitled to use the vast majority of that available water. So ordained by the NSW/Vic Governments.

What a farce! As a life form we have really got it coming, because we and State/Fed Governments do bugger all but talk about it!
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 31 January 2008 10:35:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hello demos and ginx,
you may have noticed that there is hardly any cotton or rice being grown this year as a result of drought. Isn't that the way we need some of our crops to be in our nation of drought and flooding rains. We just don't grow much during drought, leaving supplies for permanent plantings and for towns.
Posted by rojo, Thursday, 31 January 2008 1:17:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear PALE&IF,

Farmers deserve our full support - they've been doing it tough for some time now. And where would we be without them?
I always make sure that I buy Australian produce. It may not be much help - but its the least I can do.

However I'd love to cut out the middle man (Supermarkets) and see the profits go directly to the farmers. So my humble suggestion is what about setting up (with government support)"Farmer's Markets" in all large rural city centres around Australia? Where everything is in one place.

The farmers could bring their goods and sell them directly to the public - instead of via the Supermarkets.

Just a thought.

You asked for some Bush Ballads? One of my favourites is -"Saltbush Bill" by A.B 'Banjo' Paterson and of course, "The Man from Snowy River." But because they're too long for this post - I'm going to give you some short Early Australian Nursery Rhymes - that just may
entertain ... here goes:

"Sammy the swaggie has a big brown swag,
A little black billy and a white tucker bag,
A blue cattle-dog and a very red nose,
And they all go with him wherever he goes."
D.H. Souter.

"Hush-a-bye baby, on the tree top,
Grasshoppers ate up the whole of our crop.
When the drought breaks the rabbits will come.
Hush-a-bye baby, the outlook is glum."
E.R.

"Sandy is a shearer
Who has shorn so many sheep
He does not need to keep awake -
He shears them in his sleep.

That isn't Sandy snoring,
It's only Sandy shoring.
He is so smart at shearing sheep
That he can shear them in his sleep."
D.H. Souter.

"Little Miss Muffet
Arose from her tuffet
To box with the old kangaroo.

There came a big wombat
To join in the combat,
And little Miss Muffet withdrew."
E.R.

"Little Billjim, Aussie boy,
Ate bananas with great joy.

Mother frowning, said to him:
'Leave some room for dinner, Jim.'

Reaching for another bunch,
Billjim said, 'This is my lunch.'
D.H. Souter.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 31 January 2008 3:22:23 PM
G'day Rojos.

Actually I hadn't noticed. What I HAVE noticed is cotton farmers upstream pouring water onto their rice crop.

I don't accept that as good political OR farming practice
Posted by Ginx, Friday, 1 February 2008 10:07:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy