The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Plastic Shopping Bags

Plastic Shopping Bags

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
All plastic is made from the burning or fractionation of oil, or its products.

When you buy plastic, you are supporting the consumption of oil. It is irrelevant whether it is in the form of a shopping bag or a 200L plastic drum.

Plastic over time will break down (NOT biodegrade - absolute codswallop - this is a political term) into its multiferous parts. This includes poly aromatic hydrocarbons, stabilisers, and other nefarious chemicals which play havoc on the reproductive organs of invertebrates and vertebrates. Oh, and have a starring appearance in the skyrocketing reproductive cancer rates in humans.

Please, just don't buy plastic. Canvas, jute, brown paper and hemp bags were good enough for our parents when they shopped at Coles. Well do I remember the paper bag lined rubbish bin in the kitchen.

What makes us so special?
Posted by spritegal, Monday, 14 January 2008 7:21:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spritegal: you're absolutely right.Hemp is the top natural material to use for 101 uses,clothes,cloth and even medicine can be made from it. The problem? It allows small farmers to make a good quid, big corporations don't like that, especially the poison using big cotton farmers which leach that stuff into our water-aquifers.Safeway and Coles look after their investors and don't give a damn about who eats their stuff which is btw the worst of "foods" one could eat anyhow.Check it out! Smaller shops can select who they buy it from and can find the best quality as keeping their customers is really important to them.Plastics do have a hormone precurser. I do use the bags to store kitchen scraps until full then tip contents into my wormfarm and save the plastics into one large bag, when full straight into recycle bin.As far as oilproducts is concerned has anyone seen "the disclosure project" yet? Just google it,an eye-opener.
Posted by eftfnc, Monday, 14 January 2008 10:35:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Around here a different use is found for hemp.
However brown paper bags made of recycled paper should make most happy ,hemp or cotton my concerns are the same.
How clean are those bags after reuse?
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 5:17:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not to be too left field, but for those that haven't seen the message of Tim Minchin should watch the Canvas Bags clip on You Tube - though veiled in comedy a very good reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNs1ksphqf0

This clip also includes the very important message about peace in the Middle East. ;-)
Posted by Corri, Tuesday, 15 January 2008 9:58:25 AM
I think u are trying to follow in the footsteps of europe where they make u pay for shopping bags. They dont care if they are made of plastic, just as long as they can get their 50eurocents.

What do u want Australia to copy next ?

Paying 2euros to use public toilets ?
Fees for borrowing books at public Libraries ?

High Back account keeping fees ?
Posted by auto78900, Thursday, 17 January 2008 12:37:37 PM
Are you fair dinkum, an Aussie term meaning do you truly think like that?
Currently we are told the federal government is to abandon, or outlaw plastic shopping bags.
I thought the thread was about what do we do next? and is it wise to use cotton bags that may be dirty over and over again.
We pay for those cotton bags now.
We pay less for plastic bags because while the costs to the environment of poorly discarded ones is high the cost is low.
So if we get to use single use recycled brown paper bags, we will pay for them, nothing new this country once used them and paid for them.
Paper rots away, and a new use for recycled paper would be good, do many know much of the paper we put in our recycle bin is buried?
It has been at times, the cost of recycling sees some just buried or even burnt.
I will pay my 50 cents so I do not have to see dirty bags on the bench with my shopping.
And if I do not see plastic bags floating in our rivers it will be worth it.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 17 January 2008 2:18:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy