The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Veil of Tears:

The Veil of Tears:

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
In some traditions women wear a veil supposedly to screen them from
prying eyes .

The other day Hillary Clinton was reported to have been near to tears. She said because she was tortured by America's lost opportunities. Was she really hurting for America, or was she moved by a more basic instinct?

Hillary's near tears experience, seemed to come from a person well in control of her emotions, rather than someone losing control: It was well scripted, and, as in the dance of the seven veils it was designed elicit attention, at an emotional level.

And, it seems to have paid off big time, if you gauge the
pre-polling results against the actual result -but I wonder:

– would it have affected the voting intentions of (the very
discerning ) denizens of OLO?
– am I judging Hillary too harshly?

For the benefit of the, OLO primary, my own preferences (if I was voting for Democrats) would be:
Obama 1
Edwards 2
Clinton 3
And Clinton, President & Obama, Vice President - last
(But then, this was my order of preference even before the academy award winning performance!)
Posted by Horus, Wednesday, 9 January 2008 5:45:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was wary of doing this, because I thought it would make all the men of OLO hate me. But then I remembered that they already hate me. So here is is. Germaine Greer on Hilary Clinton's tears.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2238128,00.html

Seriously, it's a funny article. Youse should all read it.
Posted by botheration, Friday, 11 January 2008 8:59:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hillary Rodham Clinton is a formidable human being. Her thirty-year +
adventure in love and politics survives personal betrayal, relentless partisan investigations, and constant public scrutiny. She came of age
during a time of tumultuous solid and political change in America.
Like many women of her generation, she grew up with choices and opportunities unknown to her mother or grandmother.

She charted her own course through unexplored terrain - responding to the changing times and her own internal compass - and has become an emblem for some and a lightening rod for others.

Wife, mother, lawyer, advocate, and international icon, she has lived through America's great political wars, from Watergate to Whitewater.

She is the only First Lady to play a major role in shaping domestic legislation; she travelled tirelessly around the country to champion health care, expand economic and educational opportunity and promote the needs of children and families, and she criss-crossed the globe on behalf of women's rights, human rights and democracy.

She redefined the position of First Lady, and helped save the presidency from an unconstitutional, politically motivated impeachment.

I think she is one of the most remarkable women of our time who has gone through the challenging process of finding her own voice - as a woman, and as a formidable figure in American politics.

The fact that she got emotional and broke down - could be - that she is after all - human.

Bob Hawke was known to break down and shed a tear (or two). Which did not do him any harm. But, if it was a "political ploy" on Hillary's part - well - it shows she's got "nouse." And, there's definitely nothing wrong with that!

As for Germaine Greer's opinion - it's entertainment value at best.
That "lady" lost me after her very untimely comments on Steve Irwin's
death.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:00:06 AM
Hoorah! I'm still not sure I'd vote for Hillary, Foxy. But I'd definitely vote for you.
Posted by botheration, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:36:07 AM
Who cares ?
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:51:46 AM
G'Day Bazza,

You obviously don't! But, you should! Because what happens in America does not stay in America... Their politics affects all of us globally. So, yes, dear man - we all should care!
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 January 2008 12:28:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy