The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mutual Respect While Debating

Mutual Respect While Debating

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
wizofaus, you are joking...I hope.
Posted by Jack the Lad, Thursday, 10 January 2008 8:02:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can only concur with what posters have said thus far, and say that romany foxy and botheration, you've all provided doses of sanity and understanding in some threads that seem to go a little haywire at times.

In relation to abusive commentary... I can (and have) deal with abuse being flung my way, that comes hand in hand with challenging certain posters.
What annoys me I suppose, are the comments that attack people who aren't around to speak in their favour.
I'm talking about things like racist comments - JackTheLad, when I say racist comments, I don't mean people who want to restrict immigration. I don't mean people who say they're worried about aspects of certain religions and I don't mean people who point out the uglier sides of the histories of nations.
While I often disagree with the sentiments expressed, I concede they're valid, and I've never once recommended a post for deletion (actually, there was once mobile phone spam, but I don't think that counts).

What I mean, is being abusive. It's not just racism, some posters have said there should be genocide against certain age groups, other posters have simply been callous about other people's suffering.

There are also attacks on religious people - while I've made it quite plain I don't have much time for religion, I try to direct my criticism to the religion itself, not its practitioners. When I see people who are able to dismiss people as somehow lesser people based on what they believe, I can't help but think that allowing that mindset is what allowed the horrors of WW2. It's an extreme example that's trotted out far too often, I know, but I think it remains valid.

When I ask about commenting on threads gone ugly, I'm not necessarily referring to stepping in to stop posters from being abused. That's an easier question.
I do still wonder whether by commenting on those threads, even when there's no posters present who are being targetted, I'm just fuelling them to continue further, or whether it's crucial that other voices do speak up.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 10 January 2008 9:19:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jack, not at all. Indeed I've started another thread about it.
Posted by wizofaus, Thursday, 10 January 2008 9:26:42 AM
Welcome to the internet Belly. This is a place where we come in contact with individuals of all spheres (or squares) of thought. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion and the safety of anonimity that comes with the net gives people the deutch courage to be and say whatever they like. This is something we've all gotta beaware of and if you don't have the conviction to stand up for your beliefs with maturity and emotional armour then you shouldn't take part.

This place is a childrens playground when it comes to debating. You can't get anything going and it takes weeks for a debate to progress, but whether we like it or not everyone has the right to voice what they want, how they want. We all should be heard. Fortunately (or unfortunately, as the case may be) this place doesn't allow for passionate discussion. I'm all for respect, but wake up and smell reality. Read the paper and see how much respect is going around this planet.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 10 January 2008 9:34:11 AM
wiz, can't wait for your gastronomical thread on jobbies.
Posted by Jack the Lad, Thursday, 10 January 2008 10:58:46 AM
http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/logical-fallacies.html
Posted by freediver, Thursday, 10 January 2008 11:04:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11