The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What the Left believes

What the Left believes

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Those on the political Right often seem to have curious opinions about what the "Left" believes.
Well I have no qualms accepting the label Leftist for myself. I can't speak for others, but here's a list of things that I believe:

1. Individuals should take responsibility for their own actions, learn from their mistakes, and be rewarded for their achievement
2. Equality of opportunity should always be strived for, but equality of outcome is not desirable for its own sake
3. Market economies are a force for good, and admirably capable of innovation, creativity and wealth generation
4. The rich getting richer does not mean the poor are getting poorer
5. Economic growth is worthwhile
6. Many people have irrational concerns about environmental damage and the health risks of technology
7. Freedom of speech should not be curtailed in order to avoid offending minority groups
8. An overly generous welfare state is not desirable
9. Governments are often inefficient and frequently make bad decisions
10. Government intervention into market forces often results in unwanted outcomes

Now, I'll freely admit that those statements, in their bare form, do not make me sound very Leftist at all, but that's because all of them need to be carefully qualified. Now I’ve already written out a long essay doing just that, but before I post it (it’s 800 words), I wonder how many self-confessed lefties here do actually disagree with any of the above points? And by disagree I don’t mean "Yes, but...", I mean "That’s wrong!". Also, how do those who align themselves more with a right-wing philosophy react to claims that the above beliefs are not necessarily incompatible with a left-wing philosophy?
Posted by wizofaus, Sunday, 30 December 2007 7:39:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the libertarians are down the hall, they'll smile and welcome you.

'the left' are a lot of things, but they share one characteristic here in oz, they all believe their fairy godmother will take care of them. this is necessary, as they are uniformly dim, ignorant, and passive. if fg doesn't care, they are cooked.

alas, she was bought by sammy plutocrat long ago, pauly politician pimped her for an office and a white car.
Posted by DEMOS, Sunday, 30 December 2007 6:41:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've always had trouble telling my right from my left. I would have to stop, think, and concentrate... until my wise mum told me, "Dear it's easy... you bless yourself with your right hand."

So what does that say about me?
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 30 December 2007 6:45:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Numbers 5 and 6. Hi Wizofaus. You're not trolling for Johnny Howard are you?

http://www.highanddry.com.au/extract.cfm

"10. Government intervention into market forces often results in unwanted outcomes."

Yes, but for whom, Wizofaus?

7 out of 10. Not bad.
Posted by dickie, Sunday, 30 December 2007 7:56:53 PM
I regard myself as neither 'right' nor 'left' politically, but I'm quite sure that members of the OLO Right would regard me as 'Left'. Having said that, I agree with items 1,2,6,7,9 and 10 unreservedly.

The rest I might agree with, but with various qualifications.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 30 December 2007 8:50:23 PM
You are not from the true left, maybe you are from the new left, I agree with every point.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 31 December 2007 5:29:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy