The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should the Prime Minister (be it Howard or Rudd), make a formal apology to the Aboriginal people?

Should the Prime Minister (be it Howard or Rudd), make a formal apology to the Aboriginal people?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The only reason they want an apology is so they can sue the government for ten squillion dollars!

John Howard has personally apologised and I think most Australians have a feeling of sympathy for the Aborigines but no body for a minute believes that we should have to make a universal apology for things that happened in the past.

The best thing the Aborigines can do is stop dwelling in the past and look to the future!
Posted by EasyTimes, Monday, 22 October 2007 9:01:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once again I have to defend the fact I grieve for Australia's first people.
And work for them in my spare time and work time, for free, for the fact I know something about the debate.
And maybe the fact unlike the very left I have an understanding words are not enough.
And that all the wrongs of history are not on one side.
That stolen generation was bad, but often it saved the kids not just stole them, closer review of those dreadful days will show a welfare system out of control.
Whites to , for no other crime than being poor got taken away.
And last just maybe we still today leave kids in homes that are unfit for them , because of fear of being blamed for another stolen generation.
Australia until it enforces accountability from both sides, gives real hope and real jobs, real education , and real homes, is indeed racist.
But until saying sorry is not a request for yet more money I think we should not do so.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 22 October 2007 11:22:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear, Dear, Belly,

Can I give you a hug?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 22 October 2007 11:50:33 PM
Basically no. If the Prime Minister ever made a formal apology we might as well pack our bags and leave. This country would become bankrupt with the raft of litigation that would descend upon Parliament house. Ok, I agree in past history, unpleasant attitudes and events were impacted upon the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. But, I am not responsible for this, neither is my Paternal and Maternal Lineage. In fact our family has a proud history of serving its country in war and in peace. Both my brother and I have Served Australia in our various capacities. So are we going to apologise on behalf of our family for the freedom that our grandfathers, and other grandfathers have won for our sakes - NO WAY. I am more interested in reaching out and working together for a more equitable, fair, empowered Australia for all generations, regardless of whether you are black, white, blue or brindle.
Posted by zahira, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 1:07:30 AM
I know myself and family cant say sorry for something another persons family did a hundred years ago.
It would be wrong to say sorry because the dead can not tell their side of events.
We need now to treat them the same as the rest of us Aussies.

Move them into housing around Australia- Train them- help them- love them and make them get jobs and education for their kids.
Some will of course stay and run farms.

They is a growing resistance to REFUSE to work with the white fellow on projects.
You have radical extremist muslims seeking out disgruntled aboriginal tribes and people.
I strongly encourage everybody to consider black against white and a united aboriginal Muslim lash back towards us.

Some of the older wiser guys are very concerned about this new age eliment coming from - not all - but enough of the younger ones to be a real concern.
I love aboriginal people - but not all like me or my team.

We need to get in and stop this rot going further.
They certainly DO want an apology to bankrupt the country.

No - We certainly DO NOT need to apoligise.
We do need to enforce some health education and rules.

Ever seen the beautiful homes and cars they simply burn?
I have.
Its reminds me of what happens just a few hours across the creek.
Ever seen what they do to the UN or aid cars over there?

Just because most of us live in cities we should not assume these people except us or even like us.
Many do. The younger ones however are different again.
Mal Bruth is on the right track along with Howard.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 6:01:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
YES...... but with qualification. (cf Zahira's point)

The problem with the word 'sorry' is just that....it is simply a word.

How do we know if what is uttered, has substance.. is heart felt, and genuine ?

ZACCHAEUS. Jesus was once passing through Jericho, and there was a crowd.
Zacchaeus, chief tax collector, was touched in his own heart about his wrongdoing..corruption and deceit. He 'collected' a lot more than he was authorized to, and the 'skimming' was for how own benefit.
Jesus, knowing of his condition boldy said to Zacchaeus (who had climbed a tree to make up for his small stature and view Jesus) "Zacchaeus.. I'm wish to stay with you tonight"
He was overjoyed. Without being asked, he said to Jesus:

"Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

Jesus response- "Today, salvation has come to this house"

ZACCHAEUS DIDN'T 'SAY'....SORRY. but he "did" it.

Hence our own problem and dilemna. For those of Judao Christian background.. a word is not very much by itself. It needs to be accompanied by action.

But for us to 'give back 4 times what we took'......would clearly result in our own destruction.

Perhaps there is another way of doing this ? Instead of a 'sorry' day.. perhaps a 'Memorial' or 'Recognition' day ? something positive.
"Sorry" would just remind us of something we
a) did not do ourselves.
b) Can do little about. (little, but not 'nothing')

So, as long as the significance of a ONE AND ONLY 'Sorry' day...ceremony...possibly followed up by an annual "recognition" day
and as long as it did not allow for law suits, by virtue of legislation, then I support the idea.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 6:11:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy