The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Brave South African journalist faces arrest.

Brave South African journalist faces arrest.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I met Mondli Makhanya a number of times while living in South Africa. He is a man of great courage and integrity. I was delighted when he was appointed editor of South Africa's largest newspaper, the Sunday Times.

This brave man is now facing arrest.

See:

http://www.thetimes.co.za/Columnists/Article.aspx?id=586595

The more publicity this matter receives the less likely it is that the Mbeki administration will deal harshly with Makhanya.

Email South African president Thabo Mbeki and tell him to respect freedom of speech. The email address of his director of communications is:

sandra@po.gov.za
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 14 October 2007 5:16:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stevenlmyer
We will write and forward it on to our mail out. We of course do not have your background.
Have you sent it to African Groups In Australia and elswhere?
We commend your efforts. Please let us know if we may be of other assistance.
Keep us posted as to what is happening.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 19 October 2007 11:29:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steve,
you know as well as I do..the issue of freedom of speach, simply does not exist.

This milarky "freedom of speach" is and always will be a farce as many white South Africans will testify.

The louder you shout, the tighter the laws become and we all know who benefits from that.
When will people realise, South Africa together with it's lying, cheating government, do not understand the true meaning of freedom of speach, for the plain and simple reason of it becoming detrimental to those in power.
Posted by SPANKY, Saturday, 20 October 2007 7:21:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PALE,

Thank you for your kind words and your promise to do what you can to keep the pressure on the Mbeki Administration.

As of now Mondli has not been arrested and the police have stated that they had no intention of arresting him.

See:

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=588793

It is hard to tell whether they are backing down or whether it was a false alarm. I do know personally of 24 emails that were sent to Mbeki by South Africans in Australia. I have been told that the US ambassador in Pretoria phoned Mbeki and advised against Mondli's arrest but have no way of confirming this.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 20 October 2007 9:59:53 AM
Having worked as a journalist in South Africa I am pleased to find this article and the links posted with it. One of the most frustrating things about being there (RSA) was that one knew how little the rest of the world understood exactly what the situation was.

Nothing has changed: while people get irate about the situation in Zimbabwe they have no concept of what kinds of lives are being led by those just over the border. The conditions in South African jails, for example, are unthinkable by the standards of most peple. Keeping someone out is literally a matter of life and death.

I hope that you continue to post information such as this and to raise awareness of conditions in South Africa. People over there (especially fellow-journalists who try to get the truth out) desperately need all the publicity, awareness and support they can get.
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 20 October 2007 9:54:06 PM
Steven and Rosmarry
Perhaps you could type out a standard letter.
You both have some background. We will forward it to others who I feel would only be too happy to sign it and return same.

I do hope this man is Ok. Perhaps he should consider getting out while he can- If he can.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Sunday, 21 October 2007 3:38:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy