The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should we boycott the Olympics

Should we boycott the Olympics

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
There have been some mild suggestions that other countries should boycott the Beijing Olympics to bring about changes to human rights in China. Now there have been more suggestions that other countries, including Australia, should boycott the Beijing Olympics in order to get the Chinese to bring pressure on Burma as well.
Would this work? Is it a good idea?
I believe that the Olympic Games are so corrupt that they should be returned permanantly to a site in Greece in an effort to get them back to some sort of genuine competition...or forgotten altogether but few would agree with me. Therefore, should we use the corruption to assist the human rights of others?
Posted by Communicat, Saturday, 29 September 2007 9:03:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I found they were handing out 40,000 condoms for the Sydney Olympics I lost interest.
When I found out that Germany was gathering up 40,000 prostitutes from all over Europe to feed the lusts of the spectators going to the World Soccer Cup I lost interest. What an evil that was. The misery caused to thousands of young girls seduced into going to that foul event is beyond all belief. Now we have China, the great murderer of peoples who oppose her communism, being given the 2008 Olympics... as if we should honour her in anyway? If the Olypmics are not a sex debauch or in this case a political crawling to an evil government I dont what they are. Man in the last days is prophesied as becoming pretty dark in his lusts and affiliations (2 Timothy 3). Build Australias national defences and forget China. Build for the day of her great outward march across asia towards Israel and Amageddon (Revelation 9:16 and 16:12).
Posted by Gibo, Saturday, 29 September 2007 8:23:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia boycott the biggest sporting event on the planet?. lol

The Australian sporting ego is WAY bigger, more supported and seriously more driven than its moral conscience.

That'll be like Howard turning down a dollar from a cult 'cause 'he just shouldn't'.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 30 September 2007 8:25:03 AM
No we shouldn't boycott the Olympics. It won't achieve anything. Certainly not in regards to Burma. Other means need to be used to bring about change in China. Perhaps the question should have been, should China have been given the games in the first place?

But yes, move 'em to Greece. Stop some of the corruption if that is done
Posted by Ditch, Sunday, 30 September 2007 12:45:20 PM
Well no Ditch, China should not have been given the Olympics but they were - and I am cynical enough to believe they paid to get them.
The general consensus seems to be that China is the only country with any real influence on Burma (and that is not saying much as their record in Tibet is just as bad and their overall record not much better.) I personally doubt it would make much difference but it might be interesting to see how they would react...probably threaten the rest of us with trade sanctions!
Posted by Communicat, Sunday, 30 September 2007 4:01:46 PM
Yes, China would have gone back into their shell or as you say, instituted trade sanctions if they didn't get the Olympics. What a counrty to have to rely on to do something about Burma!! They not doing a lot by the look of how things have gone.
Posted by Ditch, Monday, 1 October 2007 9:53:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy