The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Internet paedophiles: how do we protect the kids?

Internet paedophiles: how do we protect the kids?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
we hear on the news about kids being attacked or kidnapped by pedaphiles they met off the internet. but even with rules in place and kids being told about the dangers, how do we protect them, they still manage to get in.

i even have come across a guy who said he was 21, he turned out to be 35, so what can we do?

and when they r cought they may go away to prison 4 awhile but is it really long enough.

some police have even been heard saying how hopeless it is trying to stop n catch these petaphiles so if they r having trubble protecting the kids, what then

rizz
Posted by Rizz, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 12:11:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We have our computer in the public area of the home. That doesnt stop these sick people from getting in, but at least I can oversee who my kids are talking to and advise them. The problem is also that they can access sites from school and public internet cafes. I think as parents we need to educate our children and I think if they get enough love and attention at home they will not look elsewhere for love.
Posted by Deborah58, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 12:39:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is the VERY reason why I smacked my teenage daughter -when she went out onto the oval with her girlfriend at 2.00am behind our place.

It was nothing to do with the belief in 'smacking' as a way of disciplining, it was specifically showing in a very graphic way, but in a controlled environment, that her life could be at stake.

Rizz and Deborah have both testified that kids can and will be exposed to sicko's who misrepresent themselves, and ONE of them could have said to my daughter "Hey.. meet you on the oval tonight at 2.00am... just sneak out"
He could have been building a relationship with her for a couple of years in MSN messenger or mirc or wherever.. she could have been falling in love with his on line persona.... all this HAS happened to teens.

Neither she nor her girlfriend have ever repeated such dangerous behaviour.

Rizz, there is something in the Bible saying "There are none so blind as those who 'will' not see" (Jesus) and teenagers tend to feel they are invulnerable / bulletproof and that 'yeah yeah.. it won't happen to me, I'm not a 2 yr old ya know'...until it does of course.

Deborah has a good suggestion, computers connected to the net should be in public home space.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 4 October 2006 8:09:13 AM
our computer is in a public place but a sick old man still managed to get in, he is 35, i met him on a chatroom and they CAN be sooooo convinsing, he got me to belive he was 21 till....i spoke to him on the phone
Posted by Rizz, Wednesday, 4 October 2006 8:14:29 AM
I just think that being able to have a little look over the shoulder of your kids when they are on msn etc is at least something. I know friends of my kids have computers in their rooms and that is just asking for trouble. The other point here is that msn and texting is so annonymous. I have had situations with my kids and their friends where they say some outrageous stuff that they certainly probably would not say face to face. Kind of gives them a bit of bravado so to speak. Their have been some of my kids friends (girls in particular) that have got themmselves in all sorts of messes cos they have said something over the top through a text or msn message.
Posted by Deborah58, Wednesday, 4 October 2006 9:01:33 AM
Yes agreed...keep a sharp and vigilant eye on how your child is using the net..if in doubt however..get rid of the net..there are some total nasties in' chatroom land' and become complacent as a parent at your own peril..or your childs.

Rizz..important topic.
Posted by rachel06, Wednesday, 4 October 2006 11:01:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy