The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is there a God?

Is there a God?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 43
  7. 44
  8. 45
  9. Page 46
  10. 47
  11. All
"Reality is you would have no problems in agreeing with me some Gods never existed is that true?

And I think it likely you would not be upset if I highlighted a view one religion seems to be lost and divided on the issue are non followers of that one as good as followers, been a bit careful there."

When you say "as good" do you mean as a value judgement of the worth of the person or in the sense that they might not have made as good a choice?

"Chicken and the egg? the first egg appears to be something very different that an egg, and not a God."

Can you please explain further? I can't help thinking that the irony of the chicken and egg evolutionary question is that you need to be taking a very literal interpretation of the Bible to consider that the egg didn't come first. From all but a Christian fundamentalist perspective I would have thought that it was clear cut that the egg came first.

With respect, that atheists cherish the chicken and egg thing makes me wonder what is in the blue pill. Are you sure atheism isn't a safety blanket that works by avoiding thinking things through as doing so means adopting the burden of agonising over the big issues?

In Western society the burden can be purely and merely intellectual and emotional. It does not compare with the early Christians who taught about what they had seen due to a belief that it indicated that there is something more than this world. The consequence in this world for letting people know what they had seen was things like crucifixion or being fed to the lions. In some countries the lot of Christians who admit to being Christians is not too dissimilar to the early Christians.
Posted by mjpb, Monday, 5 November 2007 11:37:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe in no God evolution is my belief, why we exist I have no idea.
I however know believers value only the God they believe in, not the God of the Mayans or any of the other 1000,s of Gods, maybe far more men have followed.
Can you tell me Christians believe in any God but one?
Why do I hesitate? my belief is not different about the God OF Islam I believe in no God.
Notice please I do not take the right to believe away from anyone.
Now as we can see more people apart from these to groups have other Gods, we say yes but only my God is true.
I hold every God is a crutch, that while we will never understand why we exist we are not governed by any man of middle eastern appearance or any other God.
And maybe just maybe if we find something that unites man rather than divides us we may be better for it.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 5 November 2007 3:41:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly ,

What we need is to take the "Man" out of God .

God said this ...Jesus says that... Allah says this ...Jehovah says that ;and they all did miracles that were witnessed by someone.

Man has told us all these things and they were [are] mostly all good men and women too.

They can't all be right can they?

Why do terrible things happen to apparently flawless, wonderfull people and children in all religions?

And all to go to a better place on the early bus ??.

Would Religion survive without the Promise of Heaven? I don't think so .

Mere mortal Jim has a lot of trouble with so many man designed Gods about .He would much prefer one that comes today and starts afresh .

However even old Agnostics can allow themselves the pleasure of the occasional prayer for comfort, when the dry gullies they are crossing also turn out to have a bit of quicksand in them as well .

And I have now admitted that the good Lord I learnt about in Sunday school so many years ago, can be a handy staff to lean on .

We need a much better series of explanations than we have had so far .
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 5 November 2007 5:31:30 PM
Jim it is the nature of man to call for help, who we call is no measure of truth.
Sales men sell insurance so do others some just sell walking sticks we use to help on rough ground.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 12:17:01 AM
Hi Belly... I'm not easily offended mate.. just say whats on your mind. All good. No problem.

Pericles.. I know its kinda futile to try to 'prove' God's existence.
I simply shared a link by a fairly bright bloke who points out that from a scientific viewpoint, life could not have begun.

Yes..his view would be challenged but I don't know where it specifically is so.

The Biblical position is that there is enough information in the natural world for people to comprehend the reality of God and his greatness....... so there is nothing really to prove. The thing that IS to be done, is to call all mankind to repentance and faith in Christ.

The lecture might turn out to be the best hour of your life well spent :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 9:21:17 PM
Hello Boaz,
I ALMOST said "For God's sake!" when I read your post,after being away for a week or so .

Please consider the opinions of psycologists and psychiatrists who consider in a VERY scientific way that actions and thoughts can be manipulated AND THEIR COURSE CHANGED .
cheers , k jim .
Posted by kartiya jim, Thursday, 15 November 2007 8:40:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 43
  7. 44
  8. 45
  9. Page 46
  10. 47
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy