The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is there a God?

Is there a God?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 45
  10. 46
  11. 47
  12. All
In the end the belief in God is a matter of faith (very reasonable faith). IT does however take a lot more blind faith to believe their is not a God. Just look at creation for a start. Read the words of Jesus and see that no human has been able to come close to His wisdom and ask yourself that if 500 people from different walks of life witnessed Jesus alive after being crucified you must conclude He is alive!
Posted by runner, Friday, 14 September 2007 9:38:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee Runner

Did anyone think to have the author of that fable, peer reviewed?

And how long after the resurrection did the author put pen to paper? (Or is that chisel to stone?)

Had the 500 witnesses already "carked" it, prior to the details of this revelation going to print?
Posted by dickie, Friday, 14 September 2007 10:04:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Belly, a French philosopher once suggested that you hedge your bets and err on the side of belief, because disbelief will go badly for you in the afterlife.
My personal experience is 37 years of non-belief Vs the last 4 years of radical change. God (the God of Boaz, amongst others!) is so amazing that he gives us the power of personal choice, and I fully exercised this option, all the while thinking I was basically a good person destined for heaven. But I have since discovered that true freedom of choice is found in embracing the truth in Christ.
When you look at all the religions, Jesus' claims were unique,and provable. Jesus claimed to be God in the flesh, demonstrating his power over life, death, elemental forces, sickness, natural forces (feeding a multitude), blindness, muteness, lameness, spiritual and demonic foces, and the ability to predict the future accurately. Even the demons recognized him and were fearful! Modern science has had very limited success in taming these forces.
The prophets of the OT point to Jesus' arrival and His nature, eyewitness accounts of Jesus' life and deeds are found in the NT (the Gospels).
Mysteriously, when you do believe, it is God's will that you do!
God's greatest gift to humankind (and animalkind PALE!) is found in salvation through Jesus Christ. By grace we are saved, not through our own actions or choices. In your search for truth, do not overlook the NT as a source, and I encourage you to continue seeking until you know the source of my confidence.

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding". (Romans 1:7)

Christians are denigrated for prolestizing the faith, however, how can you make an informed choice if you are not given all the options?
In the end, it is up to you Belly, but before rejecting the one, true God, I urge you to spend some time getting to know Him through His word.
Posted by katieO, Friday, 14 September 2007 10:09:55 AM
That's a very confused view, runner, if you don't mind my saying.

>>In the end the belief in God is a matter of faith (very reasonable faith)<<

Agree with the first part. Second part is obviously just your opinion.

>>IT does however take a lot more blind faith to believe their is not a God.<<

How does that work? It takes precisely no faith at all, not to believe in God. In fact, it is an absence of faith that defines a disbelief in God.

>>Just look at creation for a start.<<

Be more specific. In what way does creation support the belief in a God?

>>Read the words of Jesus and see that no human has been able to come close to His wisdom<<

That's kind of circular, don't you think? If I believed in a God, then there is a statistical chance I'd believe that Jesus is one too. But I don't so I don't, and the argument about the relativity of his wisdom is therefore moot.

>>ask yourself that if 500 people from different walks of life witnessed Jesus alive after being crucified you must conclude He is alive!<<

"If" is clearly the operative word here. If I did believe the stories about those 500 people, then I might also conclude that he was alive at that time - when they allegedly saw him. Regrettably, the sighting nearly 2000 years ago hardly guarantees that he is still alive today, does it? Even Noah only lasted less than half that.

I asked Boaz, and he carefully ducked the question - do you believe that Noah became a father at 502 years of age?

But I guess it has to be true that if you can stretch your mind around that one and still feel good about yourself, nothing's impossible.

Listen, there's this really neat bridge only 75 years old, going really cheap...
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 14 September 2007 10:14:34 AM
Pericles

You have caught me out as I have never done the maths on Noahs age when he had children. I do however believe that men and women lived for hundreds of years before the flood. So it could be very possible that Noah was 502 (I would need to look it up).
Posted by runner, Friday, 14 September 2007 11:21:52 AM
My wife says if you want to know if God is there, ask Him if He is. The Bible says that we can see Him in His Creation. It also says that if we zealously seek to find Him, we will. "Seek ye The Lord while He may be found" also suggests its wise to seek Him out before we pass on, for then its the Judgment. Confess the sin and invite Jesus in...is what its about. Get a relationship going with The Lord today. Him and you...you and Him. Its not to do with church or religious system. Him and you...you and Him.
Posted by Gibo, Friday, 14 September 2007 11:33:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 45
  10. 46
  11. 47
  12. All