The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mental Health

Mental Health

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
well mental health week is coming up and it made me think of all the adults, adollecents and even young children as young as 4 or 5 that r in phyciatric wards and how we judge them. i have for the last yr been involved in mental health and i have notice how some people treat them. i have heard them being called attension seekers, problems, truble makers and so on...ect. i have wittnessed a mother tell her child that there thoughts (the child suicidal thoughts) where getting them into truble, i have known adolecents who have gotten in to truble 4 running away to call an ambulance coz they have done sumthing dangerous to themselves.dont worry none of these people are my patiants coz im not a dr or councellor of any sort.

so is this the way we should treat them or should we go a little easyer on them?

in my opinon i think we should go a little easyer on them
Posted by Rizz, Sunday, 1 October 2006 8:39:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rizz how old are you and you really need to learn how to spell. I am not trying to be nasty but it is annoying -- sorry
Posted by Deborah58, Monday, 2 October 2006 2:31:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
im 16 and yeh i no i have really bad spelling
Posted by Rizz, Monday, 2 October 2006 3:03:22 PM
Oh ok just wondered. What type of work do you do with Mental Health?
Posted by Deborah58, Monday, 2 October 2006 4:11:27 PM
i dont work in it, im a pataint i suffer from sum mental illnesses
Posted by Rizz, Monday, 2 October 2006 9:31:32 PM
Hey, Rizz. I think its really wonderful that at the age of 16 you are already learning to be concerned about public perceptions of the mentally ill - i.e. that you would like to help people to learn more about something they don't know much about and react thoughtlessly to. And yes, girl, I have heard all those sorts of comments you mentioned and more.

First of all, of course, I think you should concentrate on getting well yourself but after that, perhaps you could help to make a difference yourself to educate people about mental illness? Most hospitals can tell you about support groups you could join , but most towns also have Rotary Clubs and such. Rotary is very concerned about mental health and looks for people who have been through it themselves to inspire other people. Many hospitals also like well patients to come back to talk to those who are ill. Community services also run programmes where those who have been ill can help educate others, and there are groups that go around and give talks in schools. Because you are young yourself you would probably have an impact on other kids your own age so this might be a great thing for you to do.

But, yeah, I also think you must learn how to spell!! People would then take your message more seriously, you see.

Hope you get well soon.

p.s. I am bi-polar myself so I know exactly what you mean.
Posted by Romany, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 12:38:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy