The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hyperbole, hypothesis and hysteria > Comments

Hyperbole, hypothesis and hysteria : Comments

By Brad Ruting, published 28/1/2010

Racist attacks in Melbourne: time for some deeper thought.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
On two occasions only have there been eyewitness reports of attacks on Indians. The first indicated that the attackers were ‘islanders’, and the second that they were ‘Asians’.

One of the most serious problems of multiculturalism is competition between ethnic groups – one bunch of ethnics fighting it out with another bunch of ethnics.

The Indian media takes its lead from the Australian media, and the Australian media is interested only in stirring up controversy by suggesting that Australians are racist; they don’t mention the sort of ‘Australians’ involved. The assailants could very well not be the people Indians see as Australians: white Anglo-Saxons, but they will not know that from our muck-stirring media and a certain type of self-hating Australians going out of their way to show white people in a bad light. We see the ‘white man-bad, dark man-good’ nonsense every day, and on these pages.

There has been more nastiness and ‘racism’ brought to Australia by multiculturalism and the introduction of disparate groups of immigrants with old hatreds than was ever present as an ‘Australian phenomena’. Most of it is between competing ethnic groups.

The Indian media is clearly just as irresponsible as the Australian media, and it blasts Australia with total disregard for daily violence in its own country, the caste system, the shocking disparity of wealth and continuing Hindu-Muslim hatreds. Indians murder each other at the rate of 30,000 annually.

But, we shouldn’t judge India and Indians and the attitudes to Australia by what we read in their media and our own media. The real relationship is carried on by governments and diplomats, and there has been none of the hysteria in those areas.

Nor should Australians accept the absolute rubbish about Australian ‘racism’ put about by the media and the loony Left.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 28 January 2010 9:50:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A top article.

If there's one thing the hysteria, hyperbole and hypothesis of the media does though, it is to give impetus to becoming aware of, and to then start addressing, thuggery within society. If the media puts the spotlight on the issue, at least the police will find it easier to start addressing it more comprehensively.

The ultimate solution to the issue of thuggery, of course, is to track down the thugs - the worst ones first - and have the justice system come down as heavily as necessary on them.
Posted by RobP, Thursday, 28 January 2010 9:52:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Sadly, Australia does have a history of widespread and often institutionalised racism. The list is long, but think about: Chinese miners in the gold rushes; the White Australia Policy; the Yellow Peril; the decades long refusal to accept immigrants who weren’t white Europeans; the Stolen Generation; Vietnamese boat refugees; Tampa; Cronulla; the Intervention into remote Indigenous communities; Oceanic Viking"
The writer could have helped the reader by defining what he means by "racism". Looking at the list above giving examples of "racism" doesn't help much:
"The Vietnamese boat people"? Lots of Vietnamese boat people and their decendants living in Brisbane.
"Oceanic Viking"? Lots of Sri Lankans living in Brisbane.
"Intervention into remote Indigenous communities"? Welcomed by most aboriginal women living on remote communities.
"The Stolen Generation". Non-aboriginal children weren't removed from their parent(s)?
The words "racism","racist","racists" are used willy-nilly in the community without any attempt being made to define precisely what they mean. This article is a good example.
Posted by blairbar, Thursday, 28 January 2010 12:59:30 PM
The self loathing media who love to promote primitive lifestyles while enjoying the benefits of countries who embraced the Christian Judea ethics have not stopped the multitudes wanting to come to this 'racist' nation. The same voices claim we are over populated. What a deluded bunch. When and if the social engineers get their way and the the revision of history is complete we can revert to paganism where tribalism like much of what has been imported will rule. The author has at least a little balance in his writings unlike our secularist media which can't wait to find another way of putting down many of the things which has seen this nation prosper. Anyone who has any clue about the Indian caste system knows what racism is about.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 28 January 2010 2:33:20 PM
Exactly the same lead up to what caused the Cronulla riots. I guess the only difference is that in Cronulla the flag was employed. Oh dear, the biggest crime of all! Kill, murder, rape and assualt ..fine but do not bring the flag into it.

We have multi-cultural immigration policy. Ethnic clashes will occur. Race hate crimes are bad but are not reason to attack the victims for their complaint, nor the entire race of the attackers. Or a country as in India's case.

Crime committed. Victim says racial in nature. Police response, we will investigate that angle. Court decides. Is that so really hard?

The media has a lot to answer to. Those that want to deny anyone but whites can be racist is an idiot and anyone who thinks a whole race should bear the sins of a few equally idiotic. I have only seen these two extreme represented in Australian media, I guess it sells more copy.

Hyberbole, hype, hate..all the h's

We have Samoan and Indigenous almost at war, what do we do? Painted into a corner methinks. If we only ever consider the right of the individual and not entertain identity politics whenever a crime occurs, then it would not be such a difficult question to answer.
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 28 January 2010 4:31:17 PM
The vast majority of this is all ethnic crime. Third world people bringing their ways of life here. Today a married INDIAN couple were arrested for the MURDER of an INDIAN man last month. Yet this again was blammed on white Australia at the time. I notice there was very little publicity today of exactly who was responsible. What a joke.
Posted by ozzie, Thursday, 28 January 2010 5:32:38 PM
The problem here is: lack of solid information.

The only actual empirical information, on this subject, that I've heard about, is the stats released by the Vic police circa mid 2009. These supposedly show that 1466 people "of Indian appearance" were the target of "violent crime" in the 2008-2009 period. This would apparently suggests an a rate of "violent crime" that is higher than average. But what those terms actually mean, nobody knows. Moreover, as Vic police don't log the ethnicity of complainants, nobody knows how that stat was obtained either.

And, even more interestingly, Simon Overland recently contradicted all that anyway, on the 20th January, when he stated that according to police stats Indians are "not" over represented in assault stats.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/20/2797173.htm

He hasn't released these stats to the public, for some weird reason of his own. And AFAIK, no journalist has yet demonstrated enough curiosity to ask him about them.

Basically, the lack of information creates a vacuum that can easily be filled by the hysteria and hyperbole of India's multitudes of race baiting, xenophobic shock jocks.

What we need to hose all this down, is solid, empirical, verifiable information. We need to know why Indians seem to be getting attacked. For instance, I suspect it's because they live in high crime areas for the cheap rent, and they seem to be over represented dangerous jobs (security guards, taxi drivers, night shift store keepers, etc). But I just don't have the empirical stats to back that up. As far as I know, the stats don't exist
Posted by Flavian Hardcastle, Thursday, 28 January 2010 7:47:23 PM
Ozzie

yes, true. Though I started a thread before because I feel this is a smokescreen. Seems many issues here are relating to the exploitation of young Indians, scammed by fellow Indian even into underpaid work and false education papers, false resume, false promise and these kids expected to deliver to highly expectant heavily indebted parents.

The propoganda in the Indian press uses the success of the Indian diaspora to prove that Indians do not even need to do much, just turn up and be rich because they are so naturally gifted. Hard to believe but true, I read a lot of the press and they really build hype over the success of the Indians globally. They do not get the story of hard that diaspora worked or how hard they studied to gain this success, they think it almost automatic.

It is all so very criminal. the press, the hysteria when you consider that central to the issue is basically a bunch of wide eyed kids.

The press adopting that moronic self appointed "spokesperson" for eg. Oh look another silly amusement like Keysar Trad, who cares if they self promote and carry on like fools, afterall we just want to sell ad space.

Oh gosh, I worry about the kids while spitting venom at the press of both countries. There is more to this.

Maybe the only way these kids can cry for help. Though used again for the selfish pupose of their spokesperson and the politics of India.

I mean why do they keep committing suicide?
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 28 January 2010 7:48:57 PM
I think we're wasting good OLO time & space by even looking at this idiocy. We'll never be able to drum any sense into these ethnic groups when we have only a little ourselves.
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 January 2010 6:18:04 AM
Seeing most of these attacks have been on Punjab, dodgy visa, students forced to work in exploitive or dangerous conditions it appears one big immigration racket gone wrong.

Appears they face similiar issues in the UK.
In Punjab they paid an agent thousands of dollars to arrange their journey and were assured they would be able to find jobs in the UK to pay for their food and accommodation.

There are no jobs and, if you want to come to study, please make sure you have sufficient funds with you for at least six months

Foreign students are allowed to work 20 hours per week but the pair speak little English and have not found any employment.

Manjit is now desperately worried about the debts they have already incurred.

"It was the money our parents saved for our dowries. It was $11,306 (£7,000)," she said.

"We don't have anywhere to turn and we are not getting work. We can't even give our parents their money back. We've lost everything."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8481493.stm
END QUOTE

The pressure on kids to suceed and to return parent investment could be factor in the suicide, involvement in dodgy employment like the fruit picking and the "arson" attacks.

As they may feel shame an over emphasis on "race" attacks could eb their only sense of of outlet for thier stress.

Does nto explain the idiotic reaction of the Indina government and press but corruption and lies seem to be the name of the game in that country.
Posted by TheMissus, Friday, 29 January 2010 6:09:37 PM
Runner is in error,

People come here because the nation is wealthy. People are nice because no-one is really desperate. Runner gets spiky about all of us not converting here and now. Imagine how we might react without our morning coffee, let alone going a week on thin rations. Judeo-christian cultures might easily have just been lucky in where they are. Any culture in Australia would be on clover and wealthy enough to be a target for anybody seeking a better life.

What he claims are judeo-christian ethics have their basis in older civilisations. Runner himself knows that Moses got his grounding in governance, philosophy, not drinking infested water, and languages from the Egyptians, a much older civilisation. Modern christianity owes a lot to the Greeks and Romans, who had a huge influence on the coexisting Jews.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Friday, 29 January 2010 10:52:35 PM
Too funny, have to battle past blackout screen against censorhip only to find I have been CENSORED.

Too funny.

Did I say anything illegal, nope I know the law.. Take off the black screen please, gives false impression.
Posted by TheMissus, Saturday, 30 January 2010 4:17:21 PM
Ethnic groups fighting it out with other ethnic groups. Many of these aforementioned groups, are in actual fact "Australians" educated here in Australia, grown up here in Australia, with parents who have immigrated to Australia. Therefore, can it not be stated, that these "fighting groups" are in actual fact: Australians? Unless their birth certificates and/or citizenship papers state differently?

My point being...the majority of 'fights' I am aware of in my city, is usually between Australians with an ethnic background, bringing attention, and wishing to bring attention, their ethnic origins/country of birth via their gangs/groups. After hearing many of these "Australians with ethnic backgrounds" comments, it is relatively easy to identify some of the reasons behind their behaviour.

Most of the work conducted labour-wise in this wonderful country of ours, was performed by Europeans; the Snowy Hydro Scheme to name just one. Australia was a multicultural country the day convicts [of which I belong and am proud]arrived.

It is a cop out and delusional to think that a good number of these young people who are members of gangs and groups, are "Ethnic groups". Most are Australian gangs and/or groups educated here, lived here, raised here, know their Australian law, know right from wrong, know what is acceptable behaviour, despite their parents immigrating here as has occurred, and not changed, since the '50's. More Indian, middle-eastern and Asian people have arrived [factually], yet many of these adults children are raised here as Australian citizens and taught the laws/educated regarding right from wrong.

Has anyone bothered to identify and interview the primary gangs/groups of Australians engaged in violence towards others? One may find the key to unlock and eradicate or reduce the behaviour thereafter via education, programs and tougher legislation introduced to address their criminal behaviour. It is a cop out and a false statement terming Australian gangs as Ethnic Groups. Making Australians responsible for their behaviour is the key.
Posted by we are unique, Monday, 1 February 2010 12:49:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy