The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Discrimination study > Comments

Discrimination study : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 19/1/2010

Three experiments were undertaken to gauge racial and ethnic discrimination in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

As for the jobseekers who couldn’t get jobs, there was recently a TV programme about this and, although technically qualified, the complainants could not speak decipherable English. From medicine to the service industries, they were the same. Who want’s to employ someone to deal with people when they cannot speak the only official language of the country?

Don’t blame Australia or Australians. Blame the politicians and their rampant multiculturalism, their stupid carelessness in type of people allowed to immigrate, and their unforgivable conning of immigrants who were led to believe that they would have no problems getting work. Also blame the nitwits who cry ‘discrimination’ if anyone dares to demand proficiency in English as a prerequisite for settling in Australia.

Employers will employ people they want, not those the social engineers think they should employ. And, yes, there will be some discrimination; anyone who doesn’t expect that has to be as naïve as a new-born baby. People are generally more comfortable with their own kind, no matter what country they live in - fact of life, Get over it.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 19 January 2010 3:41:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh,Mafia ?
Posted by bully, Tuesday, 19 January 2010 3:55:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Discrimination in employment? The elephant in the room would have to be old people, where 'old' means anyone over thirty-five. State and federal public services do no better in this respect than the private sector.
Posted by Cornflower, Tuesday, 19 January 2010 6:29:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is nothing revolutionary in the comments made but it’s a subtle truth of what is happening in the Australian job market at the moment. I am a manager of a successful technology firm. I regularly get CV’s that pass my desk that contain Islamic and Asian names. I have first hand knowledge of HR and Senior managers passing on names that end with an Islamic or Asian twist.

It’s the sign of the times that have caused this situation. Australia is not uniquely racist on the matter and the facts back it up by the author.

I myself am of Indian decent but have been raised and bred in Australia. This country is my home and I know of no other country that adore more than this one. I have travelled and worked abroad and have seen similar attitudes in hiring practices.
I would suggest those on the receiving end of this discrimination to ensure that communication via your CV is clear and concise. Don’t give anyone a reason to question your intelligence and competence.
Posted by NoSoupForYou, Tuesday, 19 January 2010 7:48:01 PM
Multicultural has failed, we should deport all rednecks/ racists to an offshore island somewhere. They just don' seem to get it - and we should not spend a cent more trying to educate them about the wonderful benefits of many cultures. Their hate is rusted on hate - its just a waste of time. Get rid of them now! They don't like it so they should just leave!
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 19 January 2010 11:01:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia is probably one of the least racist countries I have visited with the possible exception of Sweden (although that may have changed).

However, there are racists in all countries even if they are in the minority. I don't suspect Mr Leigh's experiments but I would wonder what the results would have been if the tests were Australia-wide. We all make judgements subconsciously or consciously about other people.

Years ago when I worked in HR and recruitment I must admit when I read a CV with a non-Anglo name I would look more closely at the resume to ascertain education and how long in Australia etc mainly because I acted on behalf of my employer and jobs which required very good English. It was just not possible to even positively discriminate in favour of migrants if English was not up to par in the sorts of roles we were recruiting. This would be the same whether the person was Chinese, Middle Eastern or broad Scots or Jordy.

Perhaps there is an assumption which needs to be actively suppressed in us all not to assume that a non-Anglo named person necessarily has poor English, or at least to give that person an interview and a chance.

I once tried my own experiment with government agencies. Generally I get an interview for every job I apply for - mainly because I know which jobs are most suited to my skills and experience. However, if on the application form I mention a disability (despite the fact it has no bearing on work performance) offers of interviews dry up. This is despite the government's lip service policy to promote the hiring of disabled people. This years reports show that the government figures have dropped in relation to the number of people hired with disability.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 20 January 2010 8:21:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy