The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Give young men a sporting chance > Comments

Give young men a sporting chance : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 7/1/2010

Sports editors and editors of 'lads mags' have a reputation for provoking feminists through outlandish stunts.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
James H, I don't believe that the author was male bashing all men at all.
She seems to be mainly upset at the people (? men) who write the men's sporting magazines. If they really had some female horses mentioned as female sports stars of the year, then I don't blame her!

There are also many women's magazines who concentrate on the physical attributes of some male sports stars too however. I see nothing wrong with people of either gender admiring some fine forms of the opposite gender in magazines.
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 7 January 2010 11:54:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While most men are not chauvanist, most young men take enourmous pleasure in the reactions of humourless, self important figures (or bodies) when prodded. Unfortunately for the feminist movement they are heavily populated with puffed up militants who can be counted on to give the desired response on cue, which is money in the bank for the perpetrators. Anyone who has watched the chaser would know this.

If these vanguards of womens' rights were simply mature enough to give a measured reply such as "This is too stupid for a response" the taunting would die from lack of oxygen. Their often radical responses generally means that they are the ones ridiculed and losing credibility.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 8 January 2010 6:18:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Most men as SM states are not cretins but I would imagine if one wanted to seek out a cretin the sporting fraternity would be the ideal starting point.

I tend to be a bit defeatist about the type of behaviour that Nina described. You are always going to get nongs in society and nothing feeds a nong more than the reaction they were seeking - you can just see the gang together giggling and guffawing at the responses they incite. Probably followed by the Who can do the Biggest Fart competition or how many hot dogs can we eat in one sitting - haw haw haw. Nary a brain cell to be seen between them.

I disagree with SM that it is the feminist responses that invite ridicule only the fact perhaps they responded at all. The only ridicule would come from the nongs themselves - which is almost a compliment when you think about it.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 9 January 2010 9:50:19 AM
Words to the effect of providing someone with a sporting chance, kind of implies they will loose anyway.

As they are already at a disadvantage anyway.

I kind of had visions of feminists giving young men a hundred yard head start, before they start shooting. ;) ;)
Posted by JamesH, Saturday, 9 January 2010 11:06:49 AM
Silly James. your link was seriously scary. I worry for you, and for those close to you.
Posted by floatinglili, Sunday, 10 January 2010 12:48:46 AM
@Funnel,

I haven’t seen the poll results. You say two of the top 10 were horses and that Serena Williams came first and a horse came second. Don’t you mean an ass came first and a horse came second? Serena Williams besides having a big ass, she carries on like an ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_jlXjgxN8. I guess she has to behave like she does to compensate for the fact she only has to play the best of 3 sets to win a match whereas men have to play the best of 5 sets to win a tourmament and equal prize money. How does that appeal to your acute sense of gender inequality?

Until women acknowledge inequalities that don't only apply to their own gender, they deserve not to be taken seriously.
Posted by Roscop, Tuesday, 19 January 2010 1:07:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy