The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Connecting the faithful - Bondi to the Bodhi Tree > Comments

Connecting the faithful - Bondi to the Bodhi Tree : Comments

By Simon Smart, published 24/12/2009

Most seem to think of the Jesus story as an important one to hang on to - for the kids.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Ho Hum and other aggressive atheists demonstrate again, in 2009, the point that John's gospel made nearly 2000 years ago. Of Jesus, John wrote (1:4-5):

"In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. "

Pointing to the sins of (men who made up and used) the church over history in no way vitiates what Christ actually taught. It merely underscores the natural tendency of man to pursue the line of least resistance - evil.

As for "Christ-myth", Atheistno1could consider what that good atheist George Bernard Shaw said in his preface to Androcles and the Lion:

“If it could be proved today that not one of the miracles of Jesus actually occurred, that proof would not invalidate a single one of his didactic utterances; and conversely, if it could be proved that not only did the miracles actually occur, but that he had wrought a thousand other miracles a thousand times more wonderful, not a jot of weight would be added to his doctrine.”

The world in general is full of dysfunctionality. No institution, no political movement, no religious movement, is free of the tendency in human nature to evil. Evil exists because we have free will. When we go along with Nietzsche's line that "God is dead", we are confronted by the truth recognized by Ivan in Dostoyevsky's Karamazov Brothers: "If God doesn't exist, then everything is permitted."

The limitless freedom here is the freedom of the person alone in a bog of quicksand.

If you decide just to "make it up", you might possibly arrive at utilitarian humanism, or perhaps at Nietzsche's 'Will to Power' (ie fascism), or the catastrophic bondage of Marxism, or the selfishness of Ayn Rand's Objectivism, or the endless wandering in the wilderness represented by New Age. The end of the Enlightenment project, and Postmodernism, have left the West, including Australia, in a vacuum of spiritual values.

So many people worry: How are we to live?
Posted by Glorfindel, Friday, 25 December 2009 6:03:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Speaking of the false prophets to come after him, Jesus said "By their fruit you will know them".

Following Christ yields the fruit of the Spirit: "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22)

And Paul writes also: "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

What beef do all you atheists have with this?

The world will cease to suffer from evil and personal and social rootlessness when we surrender our human will to follow Christ. As he said to Pilate. "For this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." (John 18)
Posted by Glorfindel, Friday, 25 December 2009 6:04:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for a winsome and thoughtful article, Simon.

How may times have we had to listen to the same repetitive detractors in the comments on these forums. A tiresome lot who claim to believe in tolerance and understanding, sometimes 'Reason' and sometimes a superior 'mysticism' - I can barely stifle a yawn...

I think they may be the ones with real issues with "mummy and daddy" and have yet to grow up and conduct themselves as adults in public
Posted by packman, Friday, 25 December 2009 6:04:34 PM
Christmas was the name given at a time of Christianity to a time of year that had traditional fesitivals unrelated to the birth of anyone. Yuletide, Winter Solstice, Sun Worship etc.

Now we move into globalisation and immigration I think over time we will see again a new tradition that combines the many different festivities.

Birmingham in the UK recongised this perhaps ahead of it's time with the introduction of Winterval some 10 years ago that was short lived. However makes sense that we will see the gradual change to inclusive holidays. Starting from Diwali,Halloween, Hannakah, Christmas, New year a united theme will emerge one day.

So I would ask a child to write a new story that combines all the good messages that comes from traditions that would be appropiate today. I would ask they incorporate the stories of the Rainbow Serpent and the Dreamtime.

So I would not focus too much on the story that is only highly relevant to a few but encourage our children to write their own traditions that resonate today.
Posted by TheMissus, Saturday, 26 December 2009 11:07:54 AM
Atheistno1, i am an agnostic christian of sorts. Preferring to have faith, that there is a "higher power", out there somewhere & i may as well refer to it, as "god".

Have never witnessed a "burning bush", but i have however seen stone, cold, evil, up close & personal, operating on a level that is too systematic or widespread, to be, merely coincidental greed. Following good old fashioned male, linear, logical, thought processes tells me that if evil & devil worshipers exist, then the forces of "good" also exist & i pledge myself to them (i gave my laptop the name "child protector" as the labour & green parties, together with their governments are totally corrupt morally, financially, etc, dedicated utterly to the destruction of families/abuse of children).

Sometimes i wonder that the "Fe-man" Nazi's may be correct in there assertion that "god", is in fact a female deity. Who else but a woman, would give, other women such a daggy deal, then say, "he did it"?

You, Ho Hum, other humanist, atheists may indeed be correct & i "defend to the death" your right to believe & speak your beliefs. George Lucas may also be correct, so "may the force be with you", but "beware the dark side" & their followers in the green/red, labour, femanazi, coalition, they are everywhere in politics, bureaucracy, journalism, they WANT, your wives & daughters.
Posted by Formersnag, Saturday, 26 December 2009 11:51:47 AM
Formersnag, it's obvious we have the same opinion's about the Governments corrupt means of control & to put it blatantly, they are anti-patriotic traitors. A patriotic government stands up for the right's of it's citizens & does not look for means to stifle the laws, remove a persons history & hold them hostage as a political prisoner. However, you are either religious or you are not & you are religious by your own admission & that is obvious. Don't pretend to be something your not because that just makes you a hypocrite & more so, a Jesuit.

There is no such thing as God or the devil. Angels & demons are a part of that figment of the imagination that is based on mental illness. Those little voices in ones head telling them things that really are not there & are not true. Feminazi's & their religious supporters with that mental illness have a lot to answer for & feminazi's mental illness is just a cowardly greed based fetish without any consideration for others but themselves.
Posted by Atheistno1, Saturday, 26 December 2009 12:30:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy