The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Long journey of an impish monk > Comments

Long journey of an impish monk : Comments

By Judy Cannon, published 10/12/2009

For years the Dalai Lama has quietly pursued his mission to promote Tibet, Buddhism, peace and the environment.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Perhaps we all need a human figure to admire and emulate to the limited extent most of us, bound as we are to desire, greed, and all the rest of it, can hope to achieve. I think that he is right in saying the West, as an entity, probably cannot cope with mainline Tibetan Buddhism but in his books the Dalai Lama presents a simple philosophy of living which does not involve notions of extraterrestial beings and rebirth. I think that he is a truly wonderful person.
Posted by Gorufus, Thursday, 10 December 2009 10:07:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gorufus,
I wonder how the Dalai Lama would fare if it were up to his ability & competence without having been put onto a pedestal to a a life of priviledge without any effort or responsibilty.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 10 December 2009 7:26:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a teenager I was into "Spirituality" and enjoyed immensely at that time a book detailing the tales of a young monk, his initiation and the stories of the secret places beneath the monastery in the mountain, wherein were preserved the Gold embalmed bodies of all the former "masters," one of whom in particular he recognised.

I don't know if any of it's true, but I thoroughly enjoyed it none the less.

The film too (what's its name? Kunjung mayb? Or maybe not? Kunjung - thats Indo for "visit" - go scrambled egg sometimes with overlapping words - mayb Kundung - got it here somewhere - scruffle, scruffle ) with Brad Pitt et al I enjoyed, though I know not how historically accurate it is. It certainly did highlight his warm, open embrace of others and new and different things.

They are close sometimes, and their visits to U.W.A. have at times been like a refreshing breeze to gently blaze the embers of my Heart.

As for China, well, to me .. it is an ongoing process of encouraging them to P.O. without becoming as bad as they are in the process.
Posted by DreamOn, Thursday, 10 December 2009 11:17:11 PM
Sori *All* I stand to SelfCorrect - I meant to say:

"7 years in Tibet"
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 11 December 2009 11:12:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy