The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The miracle of conception is no metaphor for some women > Comments

The miracle of conception is no metaphor for some women : Comments

By Monica Dux, published 15/12/2009

There is an ugly, modern trend towards blaming infertility on the sufferer.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Using Nazi Germany as an good example of a regime that had good family values is really out there and is quite unbelievable. Yes, Nazi propaganda (particularly pre 1939) showed happy families, but the family was only useful as part of the all cnsuming state.
Posted by Dougthebear, Saturday, 19 December 2009 9:44:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Stickman.

I don't believe this issue is relevant to feminism. We have moved along from the old days where a woman is only seen in terms of her reproductive abilities. That is not to reduce the sadness of the issue for some but it is certainly not something the feminism movement should concern itself with as an 'issue'.

More of an issues is the fact that women and/or men with children are finding it harder to make a choice to be at home to raise their children. I would rather the feminists champion an economic campaign that would allow families to have more options in raising families - which covers many issues such as gaps in income between rich and poor, housing affordability, waiting lists for government housing and greater job sharing or part time roles.

I don't see the public face of feminism ever championing the needs of children and families in the home. The emphasis in the modern day is work and family - a sad indictment with greater implications for the future, but I fear the cat is already out of the bag.

Perhaps through my work I do see a 'biased sample' of the results of some of these great changes over the last 20 years, but it is enough to make one pause for thought.

We are not only 'working families' but living and breathing families that while independent of government, do need some support infrastructure (and/or a different economic minset )as well.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 19 December 2009 10:15:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Government bodies write reports on the 'Changing Face of Family', but in my view, family is a rather timeless concept.
Co-operation between family memebers should be encouraged over the individualism currently upheld as the ideal.
Income splitting would be a signal to our community that families count in our society. I would value this symbolic measure much more than subsidised child care.

Turning to the topic, I believe formersnag's disgraceful posting has done nothing to address the article directly.

It is also simplistic and hateful to say that women should be 'knocked up' at 20, or take your risk. In fact, you are merely proving the author's point.

Many if not most women will have no problems falling pregnant in their late 20s, or early 30s. This is a biological timeframe that does seem to suit many women, in any case, and many women do their very best to set themselves up for children by this age.

It is ridiculous to expect young girls to have babies for fear of failing later. However, as formersnag no doubt knows, children are a two-person opportunity and modern 'dating' customs such as drawn out 'courting' have had a negative effect on women's ability to settle for children.

Many women do seem to be 'left at the alter', just as their reproductive needs are demanding to be addressed from the late 20s to early 30s. At this age, the territorial gap from single and sexually active to married and reproductive seems a very narrow timeframe to tread! It's unfair on women, and I believe it is symptomatic of a broader cultural malaise.

Men's delay in settling has also had another negative effect on fertility rates, in that their own fertility is affected by age.

However, my guess is IVF use is unlikely to turn around even if marriage and planned pregnancy is encouraged for younger people. Most people would probably not consider IVF use until their early 30s at the earliest, in any case. (I would love to hear the opinions of those within the industry though)
Posted by floatinglili, Thursday, 7 January 2010 1:07:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy