The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Immigration brings real and tangible benefits > Comments

Immigration brings real and tangible benefits : Comments

By Jacob Varghese, published 16/11/2009

There is every reason to be optimistic that in 40 years Australia will be an even better place with 13 million extra people to share it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

"There is every reason to be optimistic that in 40 years Australia will be an even better place with 13 million extra people to share it with."

Unquote

The place may be called Australia, but it won't be "Australia". Australia is not just a place, it is an idea, a concept. It has already mostly lost that concept: 13 million more and it will have lost what it was completely.

Perhaps it doesn't deserve to survive.
Posted by Dougthebear, Friday, 20 November 2009 8:44:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The truly sad thing, Dougthebear, is that Australia and many other countries are being suckered by the ideology of growthism. Immigrants and immigration are taking the blame, when it really rests with those who are trying to perpetuate this ideology: those who have some measure of control of national and international economies and politics. Following the money trail will show who really should not survive, but they are taking down many valuable cultures and nations instead, along with numerous other species on this poor ol' planet.
Posted by Rick S, Saturday, 21 November 2009 4:14:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Australia is ranked second only to Norway on the Human Development Index, a rounded index of human welfare . . "

Funny that. Norway also has a population growth rate that is 1/7th of Australia's.
Blows the argument to pieces that only rampant and artificial population growth can save a nation.

I think most know what is behind the accelerating population push.

Govt wants more consumers and therefore more GST events. Seems to be irrelevant that most the production behind transactions will take place in China. After all, Aus now produces very little, except perhaps debt. The following list gives an idea of where Aus stands in terms of paying its own way in the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_current_account_balance

No amount of extra consumers dressed up as immigrants is going to fix the current production/consumption imbalance here unless increasing immigration is linked to productivity.

We will just get further into debt as a collective = Stupid White Govt.
Posted by leela, Saturday, 21 November 2009 4:55:13 PM
In my own opinion (and the logic train of thought), Australia will suffer under increased population - not because of this lost ideological 'Australia' - but simply because Australia does not have the resources to support such a growth in population. Of course, economical benefits surely exist; greater workforce hence stronger economy, greater tax gains. However, in its current barren state, Australia is at water shortage and when put into perspective, 35mil population cannot survive off the water resources currently available. Just because the economy strengthens neither opens our heavens nor that of anyone else that wishes to live in Australia. They will surely struggle.

In regards to the cause of population growth, essentially the government policy must be completely remodelled as current legislation is in clear and flagrant support for population growth. There are incentives to have children such as the baby bonus and the increased period of paid leave for mothers (12 months). The government also provides rebates for childcare. It would require a significant amount of effort and time to slow natural increase and reject the multiculturalism policy well-cemented into Australian life since the days of Whitlam.

As for Dougthebear, I say an increased Australian population will not result in the loss of a so-called 'Australian concept'. Albeit, it will contribute more to this multiculturalist policy, and Australia will see even greater sense of such multiculturalism. It is merely an issue of supporting a greater population, not accepting one.
Posted by OmarO., Saturday, 21 November 2009 9:03:50 PM
And unrestrained multiculturalism will see the death of the culture that is - Flinders, Eyre, Burke, Hinkler, Kingsford-Smith, Bradfield, Monash, Hart, Blackburn, Florey, Cowan, Ansett, Barton, Chifley, Menzies, Whitlam, Singer, Blainey, Bradman, Lillee, Chappell etc etc

And the people that belong to that culture will be have no place and no home.
Posted by TR, Sunday, 22 November 2009 7:08:56 AM
hemissus wrote: "Ponzi scheme, that was my line !"

I wasn't meaning to steal your thunder. As I said I had simply cross-posted from another forum. Glad to see that this phrase is being more widely applied to population growth.

As far as I am aware it was first used in the article: "Is population growth a Ponzi scheme?" in the Christian Science Monitor of 17 Aug 09 at http://features.csmonitor.com/economyrebuild/2009/08/17/economic-scene-is-population-growth-a-ponzi-scheme/ by David R. Franks.

I borrowed the phrase to write the article "Queensland's pursuit of population growth is a Ponzi scheme" of 20 Aug 09 at
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=9695#155591

The economy of the supposed "Smart State" has, in fact, become largely geared to suit the needs of the most unconscionable exploiters, that is slumlords.

An article "37 students found living in one house at Sunnybank Hills" of 16 Sep 09 at http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26080851-3102,00.html

All around me, modest units, which people on unskilled incomes were once able to afford, are being converted so that they can be jam-packed with foreign students.

Those hoping to get modestly comfortable accommodation near to where there are amenities now have to compete with people who are prepared to pay (I am told) around $200 per week to be packed in to a small living space often with complete and possibly incompatible strangers.

No wonder people in Australia are literally starving today. So many have no money left over after they have paid the rent. One headline in a local paper talked of 60,000 going hungry each.

The situation today has been deliberately brought about by our political leaders to suit the demands of land speculators and property developers.

Apart from total stupidity I see no other possible reason for political leaders such as Kevin Rudd, Immigration Minister Chris Evans and Queensland Premier Anna Bligh to plan to further increase our population by a massive 60% by 2050.

(tobecontinued)
Posted by daggett, Sunday, 22 November 2009 8:04:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy