The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lest we remember > Comments

Lest we remember : Comments

By David Chibo, published 11/11/2009

Each November 11 the Australian Government and compliant media perpetuate the myth that Australia is an independent, freedom loving democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Plenty to disagree with in this article, but at least it's taking on the stagnant conformism that still infects Australia about our participation in war.

For a start, people should have a look at Humphrey McQueen's book "Japan to the Rescue", where he demonstrates that Japan had no plans to invade Australia in WW2, and in fact India was a far richer and more likely target.

I also think that Australians should support the overthrowing of the fascist Iraqi dictator Sadaam Hussein and the growth of a fledgling democracy there. There are plenty of huge problems to be solved in Iraq, but can any people be asked to labour under a fascist dictatorship of a minority ethnic group?

Other commenters have raised plenty of fair criticisms of the original article. But this sort of discussion is vital - when I posted a link to this article on my Twitter account, I promptly received an reply saying it was "inappropriate". Anything that helps to jolt at least some Australians out of their complacent acceptance of myths about war is not just appropriate, but damn needed.

http://bit.ly/djackmanson
Posted by David Jackmanson, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 11:42:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Davidf,

The reason the Zionists were there was because of the Balfour Declaration, a chance to enjoy the spoils. The UK and later US motivation for the support of Zionist interests was....money to fight the war. No moral high ground there.

Chris
There is no point about remembering the flawed motives that caused our involvement in wars only that we were there and honour the military that fought (particularly those that died). Correct?

Isn't that a bit out of context and simply encouraging our youth to glorify War, follow a bunch of older men with split interests to blithely go off to fight? (NB those of Winnie the Poo in both wars , Menzies, the English.)

What's changed with The US attitude ....fight wars on other peoples' countries and disproportionate revenge, wars of financial driven conquest.

Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan weren't nearly a century ago.
How have power systems improved? We're closer to inhalation today than 1914.
A world war industry that demands growth.

We have inflation to pay for wars

How did Australians in particular benefit from WW 1, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.

And then there's the legacy of the monumental cock up carve up in the Middle East that we're still suffering the hang over today.

How about our disgraceful compliance to Indonesia over running East Timor. How many died there? we don't even try to get those who murdered the Aussie Balibo 5 to trial.

If we want real moral creds why haven't we (and others) gone in and sorted out perhaps the bloodiest war since WW2 the Congo, or Burma?

NB I do agree we need to honour those people who dies on our behalf and remember the forgotten dead, the innocent victims of war. At least I will.

I put it to all that the best way to honour them is to avoid any repeats. It appears that we definitely haven't learned much.

History just is, for better or worse, spinning it achieves nothing useful. Sorry Chris your argument lacks substance and objectivity.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 1:59:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
examinator wrote: The reason the Zionists were there was because of the Balfour Declaration, a chance to enjoy the spoils. The UK and later US motivation for the support of Zionist interests was....money to fight the war. No moral high ground there.

Dear examinator,
The Gallipoli Campaign took place at Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey from 25 April 1915 to 9 January 1916. The Balfour Declaration was on 2 November 1917. Even Zionists can't see into the future.

I don't think there was any result in cash from Jews for the Balfour Declaration. That is nonsense and furthers the myth of Jewish money controlling the world.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 2:19:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok, examinator, but tell us how Aust's foreign policy should be, and why and how it could have been different today or in the past. Tell us why Aust's should not support past or present alliances.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 2:54:47 PM
I just wonder what those that died and fought for in the first world war would think of this country today
With the child abuse, drugs, alcohol,violence and corruption that is rampant in our society today
They really gave us "Freedom"

With all honour and respect to those fallen and those that fought may thier memory live long

It is time we showed those, that we can biuld a better world
Thanks
From Dave
Posted by dwg, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 4:12:00 PM
Smart words Mr Chibo but cruel on this remembrance day.

Pick another day to argue the reasons, right or wrong, for our wars.

This day is for remembering those who sacrificed their limbs, minds and lives for what they thought was right at the time, or hoped was right.

To say it was all a political illusion today is demeaning for all, especially those who now cannot speak.

Pete
http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/2009/11/remembrance-day-songs-2009.html
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 5:05:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy