The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A sense of despair at Indigenous housing policy > Comments

A sense of despair at Indigenous housing policy : Comments

By Sara Hudson, published 12/11/2009

Can government get off the merry-go-round of policy failure in Indigenous housing and really make a difference?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
rpg,
its kind of funny that you don't like my sense of humour. I think its odd that you can see a 'race' in a white sheet or hood, it is merely a piece of cloth.

In your earlier post i think you almost got a handle on things when you talked about all the money being wasted flying people around and paying high priced consultants, but then you kind of lost it. You see the folk that have had their snouts in the Indigenous housing trough are not Indigenous Australians. So there fore the rest of your arguement sort of doesnt gel.

I am not responsible for trying to educate you,so I don't see why you expect it, and there is sufficient info on the net and in libraries if you are interested.

The provision of clean water, nutritious food, basic human rights, secure shelter, education, health care, law and orde are expected by Australian citizens. I would suggest at the very least the first 3 of these are not being provided so lets start there and build on it.

I note you don't like to think of colonisation and see it as a past event - it is not.
If you insist on whinging about taxpayers paying, despite all Australians paying tax, you might want to think of the money as 'conscience money' or 'land rent'.
Posted by Aka, Friday, 13 November 2009 11:14:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sara,

Your article was about everything but policy. Criticizes everything but old liberal policy how about developing an actual policy goodness knows they could do with one or 10.Or maybe explain the one you apparently favour.
Like the Liberal Party we know your organizations values "to gain power".
In an essay at uni this would get 'T for try again or fail'.

PS a bit of real experience/understanding of the issues would help too.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 13 November 2009 12:34:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayb

I am not sure if you want to enter into a competition about who has been around the bush the most. I can assure you I have spent a lot of time 'off the tar' and still do, and that I am no bleeding heart. However I dont go along with all the self indulgent stuff about PC etc. It is always easy to blame others and I suupect that is what you are doing. PC is just another form of ideology and I think there is a fair bit of that in a number of the comments. My suggestion is sit back, cool down and try to be objective and dispassionate. The situation of Aboriginal communitiies is varied - there is no one comment or description that fits all situations. My problem with the original article is that it is more comment than fact, more rhetoric than reality.
Posted by Zelig, Friday, 13 November 2009 2:59:41 PM
aka. You see the folk that have had their snouts in the Indigenous housing trough are not Indigenous Australians.

Oh! you are so wrong. I come from the Burdekin originally & lived in Townsville for most of my life. I've travelled extensively throughout the north of Australia. Believe me when I say the people who run the Aboriginal organizations rip them of something shocking. When they are found out & the organization is disbanded. The same people run the new organization that is set up & so the ripoff process starts all over again. I could name names but that would only get me sued but everyone in the north knows who they are. Because of Political Correctness if anything is said or suggested then the person is automaticaly labeled racist. Hint "Palm Island."+ A grub wouldn't live there, but it's whities fault for the holes in the walls, grafitti, rubbish, etc, not theirs, of course...
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 13 November 2009 7:37:14 PM
Make the houses out of shipping containers. Quick and cheap to transport and the locals can decide the design and layouts.

Train the local men and women to use the few simple tools needed to create windows and so on. Just need a few air tools. Create a central facilities where needed by clans and so on.

Here are some possibilities:

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/twelve-amazing-shipping-container-houses.html

Innovation and flexibility are needed and what better solution is there to provide quick, durable, low cost, termite proof, cyclone proof housing that the owners can modify to their needs?

Next solution would be to put an 1800mm high chain wire fence in with lockable gates where families are bothered by long grassers - who in some areas are responsible for a lot of the destruction and assaults.
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 13 November 2009 8:19:29 PM
Aka I'll ignore the rest of your silly joke cum rant, clearly we don't share your sense of humor.

This is interesting though - the sense of entitlement you feel when you refer to 'conscience money' or 'land rent', when I "whinge" about taxpayers money.

Do you think taxpayers are merely there to prop up the failed state that is indigenous affairs?

Do you think taxpayers are not entitled to question what their money is used for - this, of course, is a rhetorical question as you have already shown this is exactly what you think.

When my parents came here in the late 40's from Europe as displaced persons, they were not told about the "land rent or conscience money" entitled to the indigenous ones forever.

One day the indigenous people will have to either get over the fact this land was settled by Europeans and continues to fill up with people from every nation in the world, or become museum exhibits.

They cannot fend for themselves and are at the mercy of good will from the government, which is the people of Australia's will.

We care, and we try - yet all we get is ongoing rants like yours, with absolutely no hint of what might solve the awful dilemma.

Rather than constantly coming up with the adversarial tone, try some "reconciliation", you know that means both parties have to come to the table to find agreement, not just one party coming to find out how much the other wants in "land rent and conscience money" as you do.

You see it as a one way street, your way, the "land rent and conscience money" way, have you learned nothing? This problem will not be reconciled till attitudes like that die out.
Posted by rpg, Saturday, 14 November 2009 7:41:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy