The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A sense of despair at Indigenous housing policy > Comments

A sense of despair at Indigenous housing policy : Comments

By Sara Hudson, published 12/11/2009

Can government get off the merry-go-round of policy failure in Indigenous housing and really make a difference?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Sarah

This is not very good. And the responses are very poor. All comment and no fact. I suggest you get out in the bush, look around, talk to people, spend some time, get involved. Give up the rhetoric and the ideology - its bad for your health
Posted by Zelig, Thursday, 12 November 2009 8:17:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Zelig.I suggest you get out in the bush, look around, talk to people, spend some time, get involved.

Strange but that's exactly what I have done all my life until recently. That's why I agree whole heartedly with all the posts so far. PC & appropriatism is what is keeping our indiginious people where they are. You can't just say, "this is what needs to happen,X, X, X." No it has to be said in such a way that nobody knows what anybody is getting at. The shuckesters move in & "aquire" most of the money & the rest is spent having meetings about how it all should be worded so nobody can make any sense out it it all.

I doubt wheather you have ever been off the tar Zelig. Either that or your one of the bleeding hearts that cry over everything all the time just to show everybody how empathic you are, but really don't have a clue.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 12 November 2009 10:39:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee a lot of you posters are talking like you are blind, not able to read. A bit dumb too because Indigenous Australians survived all the rough stuff associated early colonisation, some of which are proposed here. Talk about doing the same thing and expecting a different result being madness.

Do any of you need a hand to cut some eye holes in the hoods of your white sheets.
Posted by Aka, Thursday, 12 November 2009 10:48:14 PM
The problem has very little to do with Aboriginality, and everything to do with remoteness. If I lived on the dole 500km from the nearest tradesperson, my house would soon be a shambles too.

As I have suggested before, the solution is to draw circles of 100km radius around urban centres and say: "If you live inside these circles we will do our best to look after you. If you live outside them, you are on your own."

If Aboriginals have religious reasons for living elsewhere, that's fine, but taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill, any more than they should pay for North Shore matrons to be driven to service at St. Andrews, or fund a synagogue for the Jewish community in West Woop Woop. Believers should indulge their religious beliefs with their own money, not mine.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 13 November 2009 6:13:33 AM
As usual Aka is full of scorn and bile and racist remarks about white hoods, trying to suppress any debate.

Got any ideas for how this can be solved Aka, or is the status quo just fine with you?

You want something, you destroy it and want more, and of course the government has to comply.

I know we expect too much when we expect anyone to be grateful of actually look after what has been demanded and given at great cost to the taxpayer when it comes to this topic.

All the taxpayer gets is finger wagging about what happened in the early days of colonization, hello it's 2009.

Are you part of the aboriginal industry,is that why you want things to stay the same and have no contribution?
Posted by rpg, Friday, 13 November 2009 8:52:06 AM
Jon J you write

'The problem has very little to do with Aboriginality, and everything to do with remoteness. '

Sorry you are wrong. Much of it has to do with attitude towards European culture and working for things being a dirty word. I have met numerous aboriginals who live within 100 kilometres of a regional centre and have never had any intention of working. We now also have a generation of whites (mainly children of druggies) who also think the tax payer owes them everything.
Posted by runner, Friday, 13 November 2009 10:47:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy